How Do You Calculate the Resultant Displacement in a Football Pass Scenario?

In summary, the quarterback in a game of American football runs back 10.5 yards and then sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 15.0 yards before throwing a forward pass 55.0 yards straight downfield perpendicular to the line of scrimmage. The resultant displacement of the football can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, taking into account the 10.5 yards the quarterback ran backwards.
joedango
In a game of American football, a quarterback takes the ball from the line of scrimmage, runs backward for 10.5 yards, and then runs sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 15.0 yards. At this point, he throws a forward pass 55.0 yards straight downfield perpendicular to the line of scrimmage. What is the magnitude of the football's resultant displacement?

From my drawing I get a right triangle with one side being 15 yd and the other side being 55 yds. In my attempt I do magnitude = , but 57.01 is not the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting the part where he runs back 10 yards.

Oh I got it thanks!

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller components and using vector addition to find the resultant displacement. First, I would draw a diagram of the situation to visualize the motion of the quarterback and the football.

Next, I would use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the displacement caused by the quarterback running backwards and sideways. The resultant displacement would be the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the two sides, with a magnitude of approximately 18.4 yards.

To find the magnitude of the football's displacement, I would use the Pythagorean theorem again, this time with the 55-yard forward pass and the 18.4-yard displacement as the two sides of the right triangle. The resultant displacement of the football would have a magnitude of approximately 57.1 yards.

It is important to note that the magnitude of the resultant displacement may not necessarily be equal to the distance traveled by the football, as it is affected by both the horizontal and vertical components of its motion. This is why simply adding the distances traveled by the quarterback and the football does not give the correct answer.

In conclusion, to find the magnitude of the football's resultant displacement, we must consider both the horizontal and vertical components of its motion and use vector addition to find the resultant displacement.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Resultant Displacement in a Football Pass Scenario?

What is a vector in basic vector word problems?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. In basic vector word problems, vectors are often represented as arrows with a specific length and direction.

How do I add or subtract vectors in basic vector word problems?

In order to add or subtract vectors, you must break them down into their components (x and y for two-dimensional problems) and then add or subtract each component separately. The final result will be a new vector with a new magnitude and direction.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in basic vector word problems?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. In basic vector word problems, scalars are often represented as regular numbers, while vectors are represented as arrows.

How do I find the magnitude and direction of a vector in basic vector word problems?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of the vector. To find the direction, you can use trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine) to calculate the angle between the vector and a reference point.

Can vectors be multiplied in basic vector word problems?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied in basic vector word problems, but not in the traditional sense of multiplication. There are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product. The dot product results in a scalar, while the cross product results in a new vector.