How Fast is the Car Traveling Along the Highway?

In summary, the conversation involved a highway patrol plane flying above a road, with radar detecting a car decreasing in distance at a certain rate. The solution involved finding the velocity of the car, which was calculated to be approximately 62.46 mph.
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

A highway patrol plane is flying 1 mile above a long, straight road, with constant ground speed of 120 m.p.h. Using radar, the pilot detects a car whose distance from the plane is 1.5 miles and decreasing at a rate of 136 m.p.h. How fast is the car traveling along the highway?

The Attempt at a Solution

work.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's wrong. The value of x in the related rates equation is not an unknown. x^2+1=1.5^2. It's easy to find. And 'x' is the distance, not a velocity. dx/dT is not -120. It's a combination of the plane's velocity with the unknown velocity of the car. That's what you want to solve for.

Last edited:
So would you say that (velocity of car)[itex]\frac{dc}{dt} = 120 + \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

so that

[itex]\frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

where

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dc}{dt} - 120[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dh}{dt}= -136[/itex]

and

x=[itex]\sqrt{1.25}[/itex]

so that [itex]\frac{dc}{dt} \approx -62.46 \approx 62.46 mph[/itex]

Last edited:
e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
So would you say that (velocity of car)[itex]\frac{dc}{dt} = 120 + \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

so that

[itex]\frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

where

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dc}{dt} - 120[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dh}{dt}= -136[/itex]

and

x=[itex]\sqrt{1.25}[/itex]

so that [itex]\frac{dc}{dt} \approx -62.46 \approx 62.46 mph[/itex]

Yes, I think that's more like it.

Related to How Fast is the Car Traveling Along the Highway?

1. What are related rates?

Related rates refer to the mathematical concept of how the rates of change in two or more related variables are connected.

2. How do I know if I have solved a related rates problem correctly?

You can check if you have solved a related rates problem correctly by verifying if your answer follows the given rate of change and if it is reasonable in the context of the problem.

3. What are some common types of related rates problems?

Some common types of related rates problems include geometric problems involving changing dimensions of shapes, motion problems involving changing distances or velocities, and physics problems involving changing forces or temperatures.

4. How do I set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, you should identify the variables involved and how they are related to each other. Then, take the derivative with respect to time to create an equation that relates the rates of change of the variables.

5. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem and its solution?

Sure, here's an example: A ladder leaning against a building is sliding down at a rate of 2 feet per second. At the same time, the base of the ladder is being pulled away from the building at a rate of 3 feet per second. How fast is the top of the ladder sliding down the building when the base of the ladder is 10 feet away from the building?

To solve this problem, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to relate the changing distance between the base of the ladder and the building to the changing height of the ladder. Taking the derivative with respect to time, we get:

10(dx/dt) = x(dy/dt) + y(dx/dt)

Substituting the given rates of change and solving for dy/dt, we get:

dy/dt = -4 feet per second

Therefore, the top of the ladder is sliding down the building at a rate of 4 feet per second when the base of the ladder is 10 feet away from the building.