How fast was he moving when he hit the parked car?

• Thread starter Derekj032
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the individual is asking for assistance with determining the speed of a motorcycle that hit a stationary car in a mock trial situation. They have provided the weight of the motorcycle and the individual, as well as the distance traveled from the point of impact. They are unsure of how to calculate the speed and are seeking a formula and approximation. They also mention that witnesses have conflicting accounts of the speed and they want to determine if either claim is incorrect. Finally, they provide a potential formula using the height and distance traveled to calculate speed, but note that it may not be completely accurate due to factors such as air resistance.
Derekj032
First off, I'm new to this forum so I would like to say hello to everyone on here.

Secondly, I'm helping fellow law school friends out with a mock trial this coming week and was in need of some help. The fake trial is about a young man who hit a car on his motorcycle etc... lawsuit...etc..

I have determined that the young man weighed 210pds and was traveling on a 400pd motorcycle. He hit a stationary car and traveled 20 feet from the point of impact. How fast was he moving when he hit the parked car? I don't even know if there is a way to answer this, as I'm terrible with math. Rest assured, this is not a homework question or anything like that. I'm just trying to determine his rate of speed for the fake trial. I thought that this was a good thing to determine, as I imagine most people will not be inclined to use mathematical calculations in this case.

If someone can answer this question and post the formula I would be thrilled. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In theory yes, if you know either
1, the height above the ground he left the bike and the drag coefficent of a head-on biker you can calculate how long he flew for (it's the basic cannon ball equation)
or
2, The coefficent of sliding friction if you assume he slid along the ground.

In practice you are going to be inaccurate, it's very sensitive to things like exactly how you land and which bits of clothing stick to the ground.

mgb_phys said:
1, the height above the ground he left the bike and the drag coefficent of a head-on biker you can calculate how long he flew for (it's the basic cannon ball equation)
or

In practice you are going to be inaccurate, it's very sensitive to things like exactly how you land and which bits of clothing stick to the ground.

The height would be 30.5 inches from the ground to the top of the seat. I really know next to nothing about math, hence why i chose law school... lol

mgb_phys said:
or

I'm only looking for an approximation of the possible speed. In the case the guy claims he was traveling around 25mph, which was the posted limit. A few witnesses claim he was traveling in excess of 50-55mph. I just want to know if either of the aforementioned claims can be looked at as incorrect.

Neglecting air resistance if you fire an object horizontally 30.5" inches above the ground and they hit the ground after traveling 20ft then:

Time to fall (switching to metric)
s = ut + 1/2at^2 , u=0, a=g=9.8m/s^2
0.77m = 1/2 * 9.8m/s^2 * t^2
t = sqrt ( 0.77 / 2*9.8) = 0.2secs

To travel 20" in 0.2 secs you have to be going at 20"/0.2secs = 100ft/s = 68mph

in practice they would travel less far at this speed (because of air resistance) so they would have to be going faster than this

Related to How fast was he moving when he hit the parked car?

1. How is speed measured?

Speed is measured as the distance an object travels divided by the time it takes to travel that distance. It is typically expressed in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. What factors can affect an object's speed?

The speed of an object can be affected by several factors, including its mass, the force acting upon it, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. In addition, the medium through which the object is traveling can also impact its speed.

3. Can an object's speed change?

Yes, an object's speed can change depending on the forces acting upon it. If the forces are unbalanced, the object's speed will change. If the forces are balanced, the object's speed will remain constant.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity includes the object's direction of motion as well.

5. How can an object's speed be calculated?

An object's speed can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time. This means that if you know the distance an object traveled and the time it took to travel, you can calculate its speed. Alternatively, if you know an object's acceleration and initial velocity, you can use the formula: final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time.