How hard is it to get into a CS PhD compared to physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of getting into top US CS PhD programs compared to physics programs. The speaker mentions a previous belief that engineering programs may be harder to get into than physics due to funding, but questions if this applies to computer science as well. The group advises the speaker to carefully consider their educational background, as well as the availability of funding and number of applicants, before making a decision. They also suggest checking the percentage of funding from industry versus government and the overall demand for each discipline. The speaker is advised to choose a program based on their interests rather than perceived difficulty.
jger227
Hello guys (and girls),

I'm from Europe and I was wondering whether any of you know how hard it is to get into the top US CS PhD programs as compared to getting into physics. I think I've once read on Quora that getting into engineering is way harder since this area of research does not receive as much funding as physics. Is this true for computer science as well? I thought there must be a huge interest from industry in CS research and that thus there might be more places available.

Thanks for your help

PS: Does anyone know forums like https://physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?t=145205 for CS? Would be interesting to see profiles of computer science PhDs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you could tell what is harder. You would need students who were well-qualified for both programs and see what the relative admissions rate is, right? The denominator has to be awfully small.

Assuming you're an undergraduate student, or will be one soon, it's probably safe to assume that either PhD path is going to be very challenging, require extreme dedication and won't have any guarantees. Make the choice based on what you want to do, rather than how easy a path might seem.

Likes jasonRF
jger227 said:
I was wondering whether any of you know how hard it is to get into the top US CS PhD programs as compared to getting into physics.
What is your educational background? Do you already have a BS or MS in Physics, and are considering applying for a CS graduate programs because they are easier and/or easier to get into? Or is your background in CS, and you want to transition into Physics (not realizing how much harder it is)?

I would estimate that the level of advanced math for a graduate student in Physics is about an order of magnitude harder compared to a CS graduate student. Probably only 3-5x harder than EE, but easily an order of magnitude harder and more advanced compared to anything you will see in CS. Trying to compare the difficulty of PhD programs in CS versus Physics seems like comparing apples and oranges to me. Unless you already have a very strong background in advanced math for Engineering and Physics applications, I don't think you should be considering applying for a Physics PhD program over CS.

For example, are you comfortable with all of the subjects covered in this textbook?

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-birth-of-a-textbook/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/113805688X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1581992532607.png

Last edited:
Likes JD_PM and jim mcnamara
jger227 said:
I'm from Europe and I was wondering whether any of you know how hard it is to get into the top US CS PhD programs as compared to getting into physics. I think I've once read on Quora that getting into engineering is way harder since this area of research does not receive as much funding as physics. Is this true for computer science as well? I thought there must be a huge interest from industry in CS research and that thus there might be more places available.
You're making a decision that will strongly affect your future career (and life overall). So you should carefully check your premises and logic. "I think I've once read on Quora that getting into engineering is way harder since this area of research does not receive as much funding as physics." Engineering is a much broader discipline than physics. So it's your belief that funding for graduate research in all branches of engineering combined (electrical, mechanical, computer, civil, chemical, bio, aerospace, materials, ...) is less than that for physics. Have you checked whether this is in fact true?

Your focus appears to be on availability of industry funding for graduate research. Have you checked into the percentage of funding for graduate research from industry vs. government? How significant is industry funding?

Even if discipline A is better funded overall than discipline B, and even if there are more grad student slots for discipline A than discipline B, how many candidates are applying for discipline A vs. discipline B?

CrysPhys said:
You're making a decision that will strongly affect your future career (and life overall). So you should carefully check your premises and logic. "I think I've once read on Quora that getting into engineering is way harder since this area of research does not receive as much funding as physics." Engineering is a much broader discipline than physics. So it's your belief that funding for graduate research in all branches of engineering combined (electrical, mechanical, computer, civil, chemical, bio, aerospace, materials, ...) is less than that for physics. Have you checked whether this is in fact true?

Your focus appears to be on availability of industry funding for graduate research. Have you checked into the percentage of funding for graduate research from industry vs. government? How significant is industry funding?

Even if discipline A is better funded overall than discipline B, and even if there are more grad student slots for discipline A than discipline B, how many candidates are applying for discipline A vs. discipline B?
berkeman said:
What is your educational background? Do you already have a BS or MS in Physics, and are considering applying for a CS graduate programs because they are easier and/or easier to get into? Or is your background in CS, and you want to transition into Physics (not realizing how much harder it is)?

I would estimate that the level of advanced math for a graduate student in Physics is about an order of magnitude harder compared to a CS graduate student. Probably only 3-5x harder than EE, but easily an order of magnitude harder and more advanced compared to anything you will see in CS. Trying to compare the difficulty of PhD programs in CS versus Physics seems like comparing apples and oranges to me. Unless you already have a very strong background in advanced math for Engineering and Physics applications, I don't think you should be considering applying for a Physics PhD program over CS.

For example, are you comfortable with all of the subjects covered in this textbook?

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-birth-of-a-textbook/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/113805688X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

View attachment 257257

I'm currently studying physics and I'm planning to pursue a PhD in this field. You're right, I'm pretty uninformed in regards to CS, but this is only the case since I have already decided to go into physics.
I was just curious about CS. Anyway, thanks for your answers; I should have clarified that I'm not asking this question in order to decide between both fields.

Likes berkeman

1. How competitive is the application process for a CS PhD compared to a physics PhD?

The application process for both CS and physics PhD programs can be highly competitive, with top programs often receiving hundreds of applications for only a handful of spots. However, the level of competition may vary depending on the specific subfield within CS or physics, as well as the reputation and ranking of the program.

2. Are there any major differences in the requirements for a CS PhD versus a physics PhD?

While both programs may require strong academic backgrounds and research experience, there are some key differences in the requirements. CS PhD programs may place more emphasis on programming skills and prior experience in the field, while physics PhD programs may focus more on mathematical and analytical abilities. Additionally, CS PhD programs may also require proficiency in certain programming languages.

3. Is it easier to get funding for a CS PhD or a physics PhD?

In general, funding opportunities for PhD programs in both CS and physics are highly competitive and difficult to obtain. However, the availability of funding may vary depending on the specific program and the current state of funding within the field. It is important to thoroughly research and apply to programs with strong funding opportunities in order to increase your chances of receiving funding.

4. Is it necessary to have a CS background in order to apply for a CS PhD program?

While a strong background in computer science can certainly be beneficial for a CS PhD program, it is not always a requirement. Many programs are open to applicants from diverse academic backgrounds, as long as they can demonstrate a strong interest and aptitude for research in the field of computer science.

5. Does the prestige of a university play a significant role in the admissions process for CS PhD programs?

The prestige of a university can certainly be a factor in the admissions process for both CS and physics PhD programs. However, it is not the only factor considered, and a strong application with relevant research experience and strong letters of recommendation can often outweigh the prestige of the university. It is important to find a program that aligns with your research interests and goals, rather than solely focusing on the university's prestige.