How heavy would you be on neuron star

In summary, a neutron star is much smaller and more massive than the Earth, which would result in a person being much heavier on its surface due to the gravitational force being dependent on the mass and radius of the object.
Neutrino00
I have a problem that I can't figure out, as do most people I guess, so here goes. A neutron star is 1,000 times smaller than the Earth and has 450,000 times the mass of the earth. How many times heavier would you be on the surface of a neutron star?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the steps you need to get to the answer... Your weight is your mass times the gravitational field strength. [tex]W=mg[/tex]. [tex]g[/tex] depends on the mass and radius of the object like this: [tex] g = \frac{GM}{r^2} [/tex]

So for a particular person, their weight will scale as the mass of the planet/star and inversely with the radius squared. i.e. your mass will be greater by a factor of 450,000 due to the mass difference and greater by an additional factor of (1000)2 due to the smaller radius.

Last edited:

On the surface of a neutron star, you would be significantly heavier due to its incredibly high mass and small size. To calculate how much heavier, we can use the formula for gravitational force: F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

In this case, m1 would be your mass and m2 would be the mass of the neutron star. Since the neutron star has 450,000 times the mass of the Earth, we can substitute 450,000mE for m2, where mE is the mass of the Earth. We also know that the radius of a neutron star is about 10 kilometers, or 10,000 meters. Plugging in these values, we get:

F = G(m1)(450,000mE)/(10,000m)^2

Simplifying, we get:

F = 45Gm1/mE

This means that the gravitational force on you would be 45 times stronger on the surface of a neutron star compared to Earth. Since weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, you would weigh 45 times more on a neutron star than you do on Earth. So, if you weigh 150 pounds on Earth, you would weigh a staggering 6,750 pounds on a neutron star!

It's important to note that this calculation assumes that you are standing directly on the surface of the neutron star. In reality, the intense gravitational force and radiation on a neutron star would make it impossible for a human to survive on its surface. But hypothetically, if you were able to stand on a neutron star, you would definitely feel the effects of its extreme gravity.

1. How heavy is a neutron star?

A neutron star is an extremely dense celestial object with a mass ranging from 1.4 to 3 times the mass of the sun. This means that it can weigh anywhere from 10^22 to 10^24 kilograms.

2. How does the weight of a neutron star compare to Earth?

A neutron star is much more massive than Earth, as it can weigh up to 3 times the mass of our sun. This means that it can weigh over a billion times more than the weight of our planet.

3. How does the weight of a neutron star affect its size?

The immense weight of a neutron star causes it to have a very small size, typically ranging from 10 to 20 kilometers in diameter. This is because the gravitational force created by the star's mass is so strong that it compresses the matter within it to a high density.

4. Would I weigh more or less on a neutron star?

You would weigh significantly more on a neutron star due to its intense gravitational pull. Your weight would depend on your proximity to the star, but you could potentially weigh millions or even billions of times more than your weight on Earth.

5. Can a neutron star's weight change?

A neutron star's weight remains relatively constant throughout its lifetime. However, it can lose mass through processes such as accretion or merging with another neutron star. These changes in mass can also affect the star's size and other properties.