How High Can You Jump on asteroid 243 Ida?

In summary: It isx = v²/(2g)You can derive it from a = Δv/Δt and x = v*t and the definition of average velocity, v_av = (v+v0)/2. Really not much deeper than dimensional analysis, but it may carry more "intuition".
in the rye

Homework Statement

The asteroid 243 Ida has a mass of about 4.0×1016kg and an average radius of about 16 km (it’s not spherical, but you can assume it is). If you can jump 61 cm straight up on earth, how high could you jump on 243 Ida? (Assume the asteroid’s gravity doesn’t weaken significantly over the distance of your jump.).

I got the correct answer, I just want to verify my method.

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations, Newton Laws, Newtons Gravitational, haven't covered work/energy yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I tried using the kinematic equations, I could get them to workout because my initial velocity was unknown, and I figured it would vary due to my acceleration due to gravity. Is this correct? Or can you use kinematic equations to solve this?

My next guess was to express Earth's gravity in a ratio with Ida 243's gravity. That is 9.8/(1.0428*10-2) This gave me 9.39766 * ida's g. I figured then my distance to be 9.39766*.62 because my acceleration downwards would be less, which means the height of my jump should be proportionally related to the decrease/increase of gravity. This gave me 573m, which is correct. However, I want to be sure I went about solving this correctly.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
in the rye said:
That is 9.8/(1.0428*10-2) This gave me 9.39766 * ida's g.
The fraction is much larger than 9.39766. And "something*g" is not a ratio.
in the rye said:
which means the height of my jump should be proportionally related to the decrease/increase of gravity
Why should distance be proportional to gravitational acceleration? It is, but what is the argument? Why not proportional to the square root or square of it?573 meter (I get 573.8m, so 574m would be better) is "correct" within the incorrect assumptions the problem statement asks you to do. In reality you could jump higher, as you lift of faster (gravity slows you during the acceleration phase as well, and it does so more on Earth than on Ida).

Edit: typo

Last edited:
mfb said:
The fraction is much larger than 9.39766. And "something*g" is not a ratio.

Sorry, I didn't carry the decimals correctly in my post. 939.78 would be correct, however, the approximation gives a round off error of 573 meters. When using exacts I get 574m when rounded. I am also aware that multiplication is not a ration, I refer back to my original post:

Earth's gravity in a ratio with Ida 243's gravity. That is 9.8/(1.0428*10-2)

A ratio.

mfb said:
Why should distance be proportional to gravitational acceleration? It is, but what is the argument? Why not proportional to the square root or square of it?

Because a = Δv/Δt where Δv = Δx/Δt thus follows a=Δx/t2 so as x increases/decreases, acceleration does.

mfb said:
573 meter (I get 573.8m, so 584m would be better)

I'm assuming this is 574m? Checking a couple times this is what I got.

mfb said:
is "correct" within the incorrect assumptions the problem statement asks you to do. In reality you could jump higher, as you lift of faster (gravity slows you during the acceleration phase as well, and it does so more on Earth than on Ida).

This is relatively why I was confused since no initial velocity was given. Yet if I started with the assumption that my initial and final were both 0 and I got the same answer. I see WHY I did, but I'm confused if this is just coincidence based on my assumption. Using v2 = v02 + 2aΔx. set
v0e2 + 2aeΔxe = v0i2 + 2aiΔxi based on my assumption then

aeΔxe = aiΔxi
ae(xefinal-xeinitial) = ai(xifinal-xiinitial)
xifinal = ((ae(xefinal-xeinitial))/ai) + xiinitial

which gives me:
754 ~ .62(9.8/1.0428*10-2) + 0

Essentially exactly what I did to solve the problem. Was this just coincidence? That is, I shouldn't have assumed my initial velocity was 0 since it my initial velocity would be the instantaneous velocity when my feet leave the ground, correct?

in the rye said:
Because a = Δv/Δt where Δv = Δx/Δt thus follows a=Δx/t2 so as x increases/decreases, acceleration does.
Not a very strict way of showing it, but in principle a dimensional analysis is sufficient, yes.
in the rye said:
573 meter (I get 573.8m, so 584m would be better)
I'm assuming this is 574m? Checking a couple times this is what I got.
Oops, typo. 574 of course.
in the rye said:
This is relatively why I was confused since no initial velocity was given.
You can calculate the velocity directly after losing contact to the ground, but you don't need it.

Everything that works out in terms of units will have the right answer (unless you apply the g_Earth/g_Ida factor in the wrong way, but that is easy to spot).

mfb said:
Not a very strict way of showing it, but in principle a dimensional analysis is sufficient, yes.
Oops, typo. 574 of course.You can calculate the velocity directly after losing contact to the ground, but you don't need it.

Everything that works out in terms of units will have the right answer (unless you apply the g_Earth/g_Ida factor in the wrong way, but that is easy to spot).

Cool, thanks. Beyond dimensional analysis how would you attempt to prove this? It seemed to almost come intuitively to me because of our work in 1D problems, and even 2D when examining components.

There is a standard formula for the distance needed to change the velocity from 0 to v (or the opposite direction) at a constant acceleration g.

1. How high can humans jump on asteroid 243 Ida?

It is currently not possible for humans to jump on asteroid 243 Ida as it is located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and is not suitable for human exploration.

2. What is the gravitational pull on asteroid 243 Ida?

The gravitational pull on asteroid 243 Ida is very weak, about 0.0003 times the gravity on Earth. This means that objects and humans would have a much easier time jumping and moving around on the asteroid.

3. Can astronauts jump higher on asteroid 243 Ida than on the Moon?

Yes, astronauts can jump higher on asteroid 243 Ida than on the Moon. This is due to the lower gravity on the asteroid compared to the Moon, which has about 0.16 times the gravity on Earth.

4. Is there a limit to how high someone can jump on asteroid 243 Ida?

Theoretically, there is no limit to how high someone can jump on asteroid 243 Ida. However, the height of the jump would depend on the individual's physical abilities and the force they can generate with their legs.

5. How does the size of asteroid 243 Ida affect how high someone can jump?

The size of asteroid 243 Ida does not have a direct impact on how high someone can jump. However, the size and mass of the asteroid do affect its gravitational pull, which in turn affects how high someone can jump on its surface.