How High Can You Jump on Phobos and How Long Does It Take?

• Thread starter BrainMan
  • Start date
In summary, the Martian moon Phobos has an acceleration due to gravity of .001g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. Using the kinematic equations, it is possible to calculate the maximum height a person can jump on Phobos and the time it takes to reach that height. However, conservation of energy can also be used as a valid approach to solve this problem.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

At the surface of the Martian moon Phobos, the acceleration due to gravity is .001g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity on earth. If you can jump 2 m high on earth, how high can you leap on Phobos? How long would it take you to reach your maximum altitude?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this using the kinematic equations so I first tried to find the time at the top of the persons jump by using V = at and then plug that into the equitation x = 1/2at^2. The problem is that the first equation, when I plugged in the numbers I got t = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using conservation of energy.

To me it seems like you should be able to jump to the same potential energy in either field (because your legs can do the same amount of work)
I am not 100% sure if this is a valid approach, but it's worth a shot

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
Try using conservation of energy.

To me it seems like you should be able to jump to the same potential energy in either field (because your legs can do the same amount of work)

I am not 100% sure if this is a valid approach, but it's worth a shot
It worked! Thanks!

1. What is the "Jumping on Phobos problem"?

The "Jumping on Phobos problem" refers to a hypothetical scenario in which a person attempts to jump on the surface of Phobos, one of the two moons of Mars. It is often used as an example to explain the differences in gravity between Earth and other celestial bodies.

2. How is Phobos' gravity different from Earth's?

Phobos has a much lower gravity than Earth, about 1/1000th of Earth's gravity. This means that a person jumping on Phobos would experience a much weaker gravitational pull, making it easier to jump higher and farther compared to on Earth.

3. Could a person actually jump on Phobos?

Yes, it is possible for a person to jump on Phobos. However, due to its low gravity, the person would not be able to sustain the jump for very long and would likely float back down to the surface quickly.

4. How does the "Jumping on Phobos problem" relate to other celestial bodies?

The "Jumping on Phobos problem" serves as an example to show the differences in gravity between various celestial bodies. For example, the gravity on the Moon is about 1/6th of Earth's, making it easier for a person to jump higher and farther. On the other hand, the gravity on Jupiter's moon Io is much stronger, making it more difficult for a person to jump.

5. Why is the "Jumping on Phobos problem" important in science?

The "Jumping on Phobos problem" helps scientists and the general public understand the concept of gravity and how it varies on different celestial bodies. It also highlights the importance of considering gravity when planning missions and activities on other planets and moons in our solar system.