Troubleshooting Rolling Log Acceleration on a Ramp

In summary, the problem involves a rolling log on a ramp with a 28.0 degree incline. After rolling 4.20 m along the ramp, the magnitude of its linear acceleration is being calculated. The incorrect answer of 6.54 is due to using the incorrect value for h in the first calculation. The correct value should be 4.20m*sin(28deg).
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

A uniform solid cylindrical log begins rolling without slipping down a ramp that rises 28.0 above the horizontal. After it has rolled 4.20 m along the ramp, the magnitude of its linear acceleration is closest to

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was

mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2Iω^2

mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2[1/2mr^2]ω^2

v=rω

mgh=1/2mv^2+1/4mv^2
√4/3gh=v

solved for v and got 7.41m/s

I then used the constant acceleration equations

vx^2=vo+2aΔx

solving for a and got 6.54 which is the incorrect answer.

Where did I go wrong

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Mdhiggenz,

The problem is in your first calculation, where you come up with 7.41m/s. Your manipulation of the algebra looks correct to me (double check!), but at the very last step you seem to have used h=4.20m. The problem says that the log moved 4.20m along the ramp, which means it would have descended 4.20m*sin(28deg), which is the value you should use for h. Does this fix your problem?

Hope this helps,
Bill Mills

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Troubleshooting Rolling Log Acceleration on a Ramp

1. What is rolling log acceleration?

Rolling log acceleration refers to the increase in speed of a log as it rolls down a ramp due to the force of gravity.

2. Why is troubleshooting rolling log acceleration important?

Troubleshooting rolling log acceleration is important because it can help identify any issues or problems that may be affecting the log's acceleration, allowing for adjustments to be made to improve its speed and efficiency.

3. What are some common factors that can affect rolling log acceleration?

Some common factors that can affect rolling log acceleration include the slope of the ramp, the surface of the ramp, the weight and shape of the log, and any external forces such as friction or wind.

4. How can I troubleshoot rolling log acceleration on a ramp?

To troubleshoot rolling log acceleration on a ramp, you can start by checking the slope of the ramp to ensure it is at the correct angle for optimal acceleration. You can also examine the surface of the ramp for any obstacles or imperfections that may be slowing down the log. Additionally, you may want to adjust the weight and shape of the log or add external forces, such as lubrication or a tailwind, to improve acceleration.

5. What are some tips for improving rolling log acceleration on a ramp?

Some tips for improving rolling log acceleration on a ramp include using a smooth and clean surface for the ramp, ensuring the ramp is at the correct angle for optimal acceleration, and adjusting the weight and shape of the log if necessary. Additionally, applying lubrication to the ramp or using a tailwind can also help increase acceleration.