How integral and gradient cancels?

In summary: ...is the sum of the work done moving each particle along its own path and the work done moving all the paths together.
Istiak
Homework Statement
How integral and gradient cancels?
Relevant Equations
Integration, Differentiation
Screenshot from 2021-08-23 16-13-21.png
I know that gradient is multi-variable derivatives. But, here line integration (one dimensional integral) had canceled gradient. How?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me know in your formula which appears ##V_i## or potential V ?

anuttarasammyak said:
Let me know in your formula which appears ##V_i## or potential V ?
##V_i## 🤔

I know
[tex]\nabla V \cdot d\mathbf{s}=\sum_i (\nabla V)_i ds_i[/tex]
but am puzzled by your formula containing three i's
[tex]\sum_i (\nabla V_i)_i ds_i[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
I know
but am puzzled by your formula
[tex]\sum_i (\nabla V_i)_i ds_i[/tex]
first one is correct. When did I say the second one?

1629704683316.png
I found three i's in LHS.

anuttarasammyak said:
That's what you wrote either. $$\sum_i (\nabla V)_i ds_i=\sum_i \nabla_i V_i ds_i$$ 🤔

The ##i## in your expressions does not seem to be a spatial index. The sum seems to be a sum over several contributing potentials.

Istiakshovon said:
That's what you wrote either. $$\sum_i (\nabla V)_i ds_i=\sum_i \nabla_i V_i ds_i$$ 🤔
I can hardly find a meaning in RHS. What is ##V_i## ? I see
[tex]\sum_i \int_1^2 (\nabla V)_i ds_i = [V]_1^2[/tex]
where ##i=\{x,y,z\}## or ##\{1,2,3\}## and V is potential function. I hope it is informative for your problem.

anuttarasammyak said:
I can hardly find a meaning in RHS. What is ##V_i## ? I see
[tex]\sum_i \int_1^2 (\nabla V)_i ds_i = [V]_1^2[/tex]
where ##i=\{x,y,z\}## or ##\{1,2,3\}## and V is potential function. I hope it is informative for your problem.
Again, the index ##i## here does not seem to be a spatial index but rather a counting index for several different contributions.

Istiakshovon said:
Homework Statement:: How integral and gradient cancels?
Relevant Equations:: Integration, Differentiation

View attachment 287953I know that gradient is multi-variable derivatives. But, here line integration (one dimensional integral) had canceled gradient. How?
Hi. What you have written is not recognisable notation (to me, anyway) and you have provided virtually no explanation/background information. Some problems that immediately stand out are:

1. What is the meaning of ‘∇ᵢ’? If ∇ is the gradient operator then the subscript (i) is meaningless.

2. What does ‘dsᵢ’ mean? Is ‘dsᵢ’ simply notation for dx, dy and dz? Or have you got multiple paths and dsᵢ is a line-element along the i-th path?

3. What is i? An index (i=1, 2 or 3) corresponding to the 3 spatial dimensions, or an arbitrary number corresponding to how many V’s there are?

4, Why have you got minus signs on both sides of the equation (when they can be removed)?

5. Why is the vertical bar on the right hand side used? This symbol is typically used for the end values of a definite integral, but there is no integral on the right hand side

What is the source of your equation?

Steve4Physics said:
1. What is the meaning of ‘∇ᵢ’? If ∇ is the gradient operator then the subscript (i) is meaningless.
The natural interpretation to me is a set of particles, indexed by ##i## moving in an external potential and each with position ##\vec s_i## and potential ##V_i = V(\vec s_i)##. The gradient ##\nabla_i## would be the gradient acting on the ##\vec s_i## coordinates.

Steve4Physics said:
2. What does ‘dsᵢ’ mean? Is ‘dsᵢ’ simply notation for dx, dy and dz? Or have you got multiple paths and dsᵢ is a line-element along the i-th path?
See above. The ##d\vec s_i## would be the differential of the position of particle ##i##.

Steve4Physics said:
5. Why is the vertical bar on the right hand side used? This symbol is typically used for the end values of a definite integral, but there is no integral on the right hand side
The integral is on the LHS. The evaluation of the integral at the endpoints are therefore on the RHS.

Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2
Orodruin said:
The natural interpretation to me is a set of particles, indexed by ##i## moving in an external potential and each with position ##\vec s_i## and potential ##V_i = V(\vec s_i)##. The gradient ##\nabla_i## would be the gradient acting on the ##\vec s_i## coordinates.See above. The ##d\vec s_i## would be the differential of the position of particle ##i##.The integral is on the LHS. The evaluation of the integral at the endpoints are therefore on the RHS.
Aha. Thanks @Orodruin. That’s very helpful. I was being a bit slow.

##\nabla_i## is the directional derivative in the direction ##\vec {s_i}##, not a simple gradient operator. For neatness, ‘##i##’ has been used as the subscript rather than (the more usual) ##\vec {s_i}##.

As for my query on the use of the vertical bar, I was being silly.

And for anyone else as confused as I was initially, I’ll add that the ‘1’ and ‘2’ in the given equation aren’t actual values but are shorthand for the start-coordinates (1) and the end-coordinate (2) of each particle’s path. It's briefer (though less clear) than writing something like ##r_{i_1}## and ## r_{i_2}## for the start and end points of the i-th particle.

In a physical context, the equation is simply expressing the fact that the work done moving a set of particles (with independent paths) in a conservative force field equals the total change in potential energy.

1. How do you define an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical concept that represents the slope of a curve at a specific point. It is a vector that shows the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase of a function at that point.

3. How do integral and gradient relate to each other?

Integral and gradient are closely related concepts in mathematics. The integral of a function is the antiderivative of its gradient, and the gradient of an integral is the original function. This means that the integral and gradient are inverse operations of each other.

4. Why do integral and gradient cancel each other out?

When the integral and gradient are applied to a function, they essentially undo each other's effects. This is because the integral represents the accumulation of the gradient over an interval, and the gradient represents the rate of change of the integral at a specific point. So, when these two operations are applied together, they cancel out and leave the original function.

5. What are some real-world applications of integral and gradient cancellation?

Integral and gradient cancellation have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, the integral of a velocity function gives the displacement, and the gradient of a displacement function gives the velocity. In economics, the integral of a demand function gives the total revenue, and the gradient of a revenue function gives the marginal revenue. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving various real-world problems.