How intimately can we observe DNA replication?

In summary: We can also measure the progress of transcription using 3SR methods. By attaching a molecule that fluorescently responds to transcription factors, you can track how these proteins bind to DNA, and then measure the fluorescence that comes off of the DNA.The 3SR method has been used to study the binding of TFIIB to chromatin, and how this binding changes over time.The limitations of single molecule techniques include the fact that they only allow tracking the movements of a single molecule at a time, and they cannot see inside of cells.The video you showed is really cool. It is amazing how precisely DNA is depicted in cells. However, I do not think that we can see individual DNA strands in a live
Cody Richeson
I found this interesting computer animation representing DNA functions in cells.

My questions:
1) How precisely can we actually magnify cell functions, and what is preventing us from peering in as closely as depicted in the video (keeping in mind that I know it's probably technologically infeasible to construct an atomic sized camera that can zip around and record what's going on)?

2)I've seen photographs of individual atoms, so why is it that when I search for magnified images of cells, it's never at the atomic level?

3)Have florescent dyeing techniques been able to resolve any of these functions at the atomic scale?

4) Would high speed video from a powerful microscope (shooting at perhaps 10,000-50,000 frames per second) be able to provide useful temporal information about the process of DNA replication?

Biology news on Phys.org
A simple answer using a homey analogy -
Brownian motion. Molecules in a liquid "bump"around at high "speeds", and chemical reactions happen VERY quickly. So if we could actually look at what is going on, we would see something like this:
Imagine a movie of Grand Central station, showing what happens there over a five hour period. Now play it back - in one second. You will note that virtually everything moves off the screen, as filmed in real time, in about one minute. So where is the bus hours later?

Now pretend the bus was a large molecule. You could not say where it will be in the next few milliseconds in the fast playback version. You would be hard pressed to track anything.

Look closely at the video, we are interested the black dots (small molecule sized things) Image tracking one of them with an electron microscope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion

Visible light microscopy is ultimately constrained by the diffraction limit of light. Because of the quantum nature of light, you cannot focus a light beam down to below ~ half the wavelenght of the light you are using. Therefore, visible light (~400-600 nm) has a resolution limit of ~ 200 nm (atoms are on the scale of ~0.1 nm). There are some trick you can play with optics to perform super-resolution imaging, which now can routinely image with ~ 10-20 nm resolution, and has been reported to get to the 0.1-1 nm scale under optimal conditions. However, many of these higher-resolution techniques are slow, posing challenges for imaging fast processes in live cells.

It is possible to image at higher resolutions using shorter wavelenghts of light (x-rays) or electrons, but these are damaging to biological tissue and cannot be used on live samples. Atomic force microscopy has been used to image atoms and molecules, but this technique cannot see inside of cells (though you can use it to watch purified motor proteins move in the laboaratory).

Indeed, using purified components, scientists have developed a number of single-molecule techniques to track the motion of motor proteins like DNA polymerase in real time. Techniques such as optical tweezers, fluorescence, and AFM can be used to watch the movement of these proteins along their tracks (e.g. DNA polymerase moving along DNA, kinesin walking along microtubules).

While @Ygggdrasil is completely correct, please do not take his reply to mean 'Yes, we can see individual DNA strands (DNA is a polymer) in a live cell.'
We cannot do that right now. My post was predicated on what I thought was your apparent level of understanding. Sorry if that's wrong.

This is what you have to do to be able to do that -- with a DNA strand from a dead cell. It is really cool.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/whats-application-polymer-physics-genetic-sequencing/
DNA is folded into a glob in live cells during most of a cell cycle, for starters.

We can do different measurements, using different techniques. Then we can use computer models and simulations and our knowledge of chemistry to make these animations.

At the lab I work they do measurements using fluorescence labeled polymerases and nucleotides (FRET). This allows measuring how distances between these fluorescent labels change. When combined with crystal structures, you can greatly limit the number of theoretically possible conformations the molecules truly pass through as DNA is being copied, narrowing down on the 'true way'.

1. How do we observe DNA replication?

To observe DNA replication, scientists use a technique called DNA sequencing. This involves isolating and amplifying DNA, then using specialized tools to read and analyze the sequence of nucleotides. Other methods, such as electron microscopy, can also be used to directly observe DNA replication in action.

2. At what level of detail can we observe DNA replication?

With modern technology, we can observe DNA replication at the molecular level. This means we can see individual nucleotides being added to the growing DNA strand, as well as the enzymes and proteins involved in the process. However, some details, such as the exact positioning of these molecules, may still be difficult to observe.

3. How fast does DNA replication occur?

The speed of DNA replication can vary depending on the organism and the conditions. In humans, it takes about 8 hours for a single cell to replicate its entire genome. However, certain bacteria can replicate their DNA in just 20 minutes.

4. Can we observe DNA replication in real time?

Yes, it is possible to observe DNA replication in real time using specialized techniques such as fluorescence microscopy. This allows scientists to track the movement of individual molecules and observe the entire process as it happens.

5. Are there any limitations to how intimately we can observe DNA replication?

While we can observe DNA replication at the molecular level, there are still limitations to how intimately we can observe it. This is due to the small size of molecules involved and the difficulty in visualizing them in real time. Additionally, some aspects of DNA replication, such as the exact positioning of molecules, may still be challenging to observe.