How Is a Second Order Chebyshev Passband Filter Designed?

• Thread starter cathode-ray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, to get the transfer function of a second order Chebyshev passband filter with central frequency f0 = 1 [kHz], lower cutoff frequency fc=670 [Hz], 3dB ripple in the pass-band and 30dB of gain in the central frequency, one can use a frequency transformation on a first order low pass Chebyshev filter to obtain the desired result. The final transfer function is T(S)=\frac{s}{\frac{s^{2}}{Bk}+\frac{s}{k}+\frac{w_{p}^{2}}{Bk}}, where B is the bandwidth and k is a constant determined by the desired gain at the central frequency. This can
cathode-ray

Homework Statement

Get the transfer function of a second order Chebyshev passband filter, with central frequency f0 = 1 [kHz], lower cutoff frequency fc=670 [Hz], 3dB ripple in the pass-band and 30dB of gain in the central frequency.

Homework Equations

Maximum allowed variation in passband transmission [itex]A_{max}=10log(1+ε^2)[/itex]
Transfer function of Chebyshev filter [itex] T(s)=\frac{Kw_{p}^N}{ε2^{N-1}(s-p_{1})...(s-p_{N})}[/itex]
Chebyshev filter poles [itex] p_{k}=-w_{p}sin(\frac{(2k-1)\pi}{2N})sinh(\frac{1}{N}sinh^{-1}(\frac{1}{ε}))+jw_{p}cos(\frac{(2k-1)\pi}{2N})cosh(\frac{1}{N}sinh^{-1}(\frac{1}{ε})), k=1,2,...,N[/itex]
N is the order of the filter
K is the gain
(expressions taken from "Microelectronic Circuits", Sedra, 5th edition)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi,

My first attempt, to this problem was to calculate ε through [itex]A_{max}[/itex] and get the two poles(which are conjugated) through the expression given, considering [itex]w_{p}[/itex] as [itex]670\times2\pi[/itex]. I then had all that was needed to build the transfer function. The problem is that this is the transfer function for a low pass filter. I have no idea how to get the pass band filter at this point, and I am also not sure if what i did is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a search in the web before coming here and also found that document, but it didnt helped :S .

rude man said:
If you wan the correct answer without the details, go to www.filterfree.com. Stipulate chebyshev bandpass type 1, 2nd order, input your upper & lower cutoff frequencies and midband gain, 3dB passband ripple, and get the answer.
Have you visited that site recently, rude man? :frown:

cathode-ray said:
The problem is that this is the transfer function for a low pass filter. I have no idea how to get the pass band filter at this point, and I am also not sure if what i did is correct.
I recall from my uni days that there are transforms to convert the LP to a HP, and also to a BP. That's why design equations deal only with the LP. Searching, I found mention on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_transformations#Bandform_transformation

I think you are just looking for a second order system, of the form A.s / (s² + bs +c)
so it won't have ripple as such, there's only the one peak in the response, it's bandwidth being measured between the pair of -3dB points.

Beyond this, I'm of no help here, sorry.

NascentOxygen said:
Have you visited that site recently, rude man? :frown:

see below

Last edited:
rude man said:
I recommend http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/43-09/EDCh 8 filter.pdf

pp. 8.21 ff.

If you want the correct answer without the details, go to www.filterfree.com. Stipulate chebyshev bandpass type 1, 2nd order, input your upper & lower cutoff frequencies and midband gain, 3dB passband ripple, and get the answer.

SORRY, N/O. I'll try to figure out how I got their site. definitely did, only yesterday. Stay tuned, it's worth it.

OK, found the problem - the site is www.nuhertz.com. Scroll down to the "Filter Free" downlink.

I finally found the answer and the mistake i was making :D. To design the filter i was considering initially a second order low pass Chebyshev filter, with the specified characteristics, and then i applied the frequency transformation to make it a band pass. However to make the transformation what i needed was a first order low pass Chebyshev filter that as a transfer function of the form:

[itex]T(S)=\frac{1}{S-p_{1}}[/itex]​

where S is the normalized frequency with respect to the central frequency:

[itex]S=\frac{s}{w_{p}}[/itex]​

I then calculated the pole [itex]p_{1}[/itex] of the filter, using the expression i took from the "Microelectronic Circuits", which gave me [itex]p_{1}=-1[/itex]. Thus the transfer function for the low pass filter is:

[itex]T(S)=\frac{1}{S+1}[/itex]​

To make it a band pass filter i used a frequency transformation:

[itex]S\rightarrow\frac{S^{2}+1}{2\xi S}[/itex]​

After making the transformation i ended up with a band pass second order Chebyshev filter , with the desired characteristics, of the form:

[itex]T(S)=\frac{s}{\frac{s^{2}}{B}+s+\frac{w_{p}^{2}}{B}}[/itex]​
B is the bandwidth

In order to have the gain of 30dB at the central frequency i multiplied the transfer function for a constant k and calculated what value it had to have at [itex]s=jw_{p}[/itex].Then i finally got the desired result:

[itex]T(S)=\frac{s}{\frac{s^{2}}{Bk}+\frac{s}{k}+\frac{w_{p}^{2}}{Bk}}[/itex]​

Thanks for all the replies!

Note: Thanks for the link for that software rude man :) it will be useful

Related to How Is a Second Order Chebyshev Passband Filter Designed?

1. What is a Chebyshev Passband Filter?

A Chebyshev Passband Filter is a type of electronic filter used to selectively allow certain frequencies to pass through while attenuating others. It is designed to have a sharp roll-off and a ripple in the passband, making it useful for applications that require a steep transition between the passband and stopband.

2. How does a Chebyshev Passband Filter work?

A Chebyshev Passband Filter works by using a combination of inductors and capacitors to create a circuit that allows certain frequencies to pass through while attenuating others. The amount of attenuation and the frequency range of the passband can be adjusted by varying the values of the components in the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a Chebyshev Passband Filter?

One advantage of using a Chebyshev Passband Filter is its steep roll-off, which allows for a sharp transition between the passband and stopband. This makes it useful for applications that require precise frequency filtering. Additionally, Chebyshev filters are relatively easy to design and can be implemented with a small number of components.

4. What are the limitations of a Chebyshev Passband Filter?

One limitation of a Chebyshev Passband Filter is its passband ripple, which can introduce unwanted distortion in the filtered signal. Additionally, the steep roll-off can cause phase distortion, which may be problematic for some applications. Chebyshev filters also have a limited stopband attenuation compared to other types of filters.

5. What are some common applications of a Chebyshev Passband Filter?

Chebyshev Passband Filters are commonly used in audio applications, such as equalizers, to selectively filter out certain frequencies. They are also used in telecommunications for signal conditioning, and in scientific instruments for precise frequency filtering. Additionally, Chebyshev filters are used in power supply circuits to reduce ripple in the output voltage.