How is Bernoulli's equation related to saxon bowls?

In summary: He noted that if the sink is very slow, you can collect the distance sunk vs time for different hole areas.
odysseyinheights

Homework Statement

This is a lab that we have to design and carry out that goes above and beyond our course. I am investigating how the diameter of a hole in a bowl affects its sink time when put in a larger bowl of water (saxon bowl, or sinking bowl as they are known.) I will have to plot them against each other, yet am not sure how I will do so. This is all I know so far. I need a mathematical model to linearize them once plotted against each other.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation possibly?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think P2 for Bernoulli's equation would be at the hole in the bowl but I am not sure where P1 would be in this case because at the beginning both the water line and the hole in the bowl will be at exactly the same level. I am also not sure how to go from Bernoulli's equation to the diameter and how I would relate them. All I have been able to think of is to calculate the constant for each different hole diameter and compare them? Any help or push towards the right direction, be it an application of the formula or another formula would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is related to the problem of having a hole in the side of a vessel containing water - but the actual equation is going to be quite complicated.
What you can do is carry out the experiment, then plot the raw data against each other and see what sort of shape you get. Then you can find out what sort of relationship best linearizes the plot that you get.

If the sinking is very slow, you can collect the distance sunk vs time for different hole areas.

For pressures: one pressure is the weight of the top pot pressing down, the other is air pressure at the top surface.
In the initial situation, the pot's weight will displace some water ... you may want to consider plugging the hole and letting the top pot float before unplugging the hole.

odysseyinheights said:
I think P2 for Bernoulli's equation would be at the hole in the bowl but I am not sure where P1 would be in this case because at the beginning both the water line and the hole in the bowl will be at exactly the same level
Bowl has some buoyancy. The bottom will sink into the water BELOW the water line. You can measure that distance ( with the hole closed so it doesn't start sinking ), or do a calculation if you like, whichever is easier for you. Label the distance from the water line to the bottom of the bowl as "h".

You should now have a P1.

Pretty much what Simon said.

1. How does Bernoulli's equation explain the workings of saxon bowls?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between fluid velocity, pressure, and elevation. In the case of saxon bowls, the fluid (usually water) is accelerated as it flows through a narrowing channel, causing a decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's equation.

2. Is Bernoulli's equation applicable to all types of saxon bowls?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation is a universal principle that can be applied to any type of saxon bowl, as long as the fluid flow is laminar and the other assumptions of the equation are met.

3. How is Bernoulli's equation used to optimize the performance of saxon bowls?

By understanding the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure, engineers can use Bernoulli's equation to design saxon bowls with the optimal dimensions and angles to achieve the desired flow rate and pressure.

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be used to predict the flow rate of a saxon bowl?

No, Bernoulli's equation alone cannot predict the flow rate of a saxon bowl. Other factors, such as the shape and smoothness of the surface, as well as external influences like air resistance, also play a role in determining the flow rate.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to Bernoulli's equation in relation to saxon bowls?

Bernoulli's equation is based on several assumptions, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady and frictionless. These assumptions may not hold true in certain scenarios, such as when the fluid is highly viscous or the flow is turbulent. In these cases, Bernoulli's equation may not accurately describe the behavior of saxon bowls.