How can Bernoulli's equation be applied in this problem?

In summary, the student attempted to solve this problem using Bernoulli's equation, but was surprised to find that it was not applicable. They also found a similar problem in another book and found that the use of Bernoulli's equation there involved two steps. They believe that answer A is the correct answer, but the given answer is answer C.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=47568ab3a1f7a1653b4ecb2b7ae904ee.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I would like to mention that I have solved this problem using force approach and got correct result . My problem is that when I saw the official solution , I was quite surprised to see the application of Bernoulli's equation . I believe it cannot be applied here. Here is the given solution .

?temp_hash=47568ab3a1f7a1653b4ecb2b7ae904ee.png

To add to my surprise , I found the same problem in another book and similar use of Bernoulli . The only difference being that in that solution , they worked in two steps . First they applied Bernoulli's equation between points 1 and 3 and then used hydrostatic pressure difference between 2 and 3 .

Interestingly I found similar thread here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-doesnt-bernoullis-equation-apply-in-this-problem.358431/ .

I would request experts to given their opinion whether it is correct to apply Bernoulli's equation in this problem .
Many Thanks

@TSny , @Chestermiller

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • solution.PNG
    solution.PNG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,048
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoullis' equation is an application of conservation of energy to incompressible fluids - it is appropriate to conserve energy for this problem.

Probably best to check the maths though.

The given solution does not appear to be correct. Points 1 and 2 are at the same pressure (atmospheric).

I also don't see how to apply Bernoulli's equation directly between points 1 and 3 since these points are not on the same streamline.

If you go to the rotating frame of reference, you have a static fluid with a fictitious centrifugal force field in addition to the gravitational field. You can then use principles of fluid statics to find expressions for ΔP between 1 and 3 and ΔP between 3 and 2.

Likes billy_joule and Vibhor
TSny said:
The given solution does not appear to be correct. Points 1 and 2 are at the same pressure (atmospheric).

I also don't see how to apply Bernoulli's equation directly between points 1 and 3 since these points are not on the same streamline.

I agree . Thanks a lot :smile: . I wonder how physics principles are being applied so whimsically :eek: .

TSny said:
If you go to the rotating frame of reference, you have a static fluid with a fictitious centrifugal force field in addition to the gravitational field. You can then use principles of fluid statics to find expressions for ΔP between 1 and 3 and ΔP between 3 and 2.

This is exactly what I did to get the result .

I agree with you guys. This doesn't work for me at all.

Likes Vibhor
There is another fluid mechanics question whose " official answer" is troubling me . But this time I am not as confident as I was in the OP . I might very well be wrong .

Please see the attached picture . I believe answer should be option a) . But answer given is option c) .

I do not see why the line of action of normal force should act away from the center . If normal force acts to the left or to the right , then force due to the top on the liquid would create a torque on the liquid w.r.t center but liquid is in equilibrium w.r.t the vessel .

OTOH if the liquid was not completely filled , then I think the CM of liquid shifts towards left and so does normal force .

Does it look reasonable ?

Attachments

• box.PNG
    box.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 414
Is the water pressure on the top of the box the same for all points of the top?

Likes Vibhor
The pressure decreases from left to right on the top which means the normal force also decreases from left to right . But average of these forces could very well lie at the center of the top ??

I am not able to argue how the net normal force is towards the left .

Vibhor said:
The pressure decreases from left to right on the top which means the normal force also decreases from left to right
OK
But average of these forces could very well lie at the center of the top ??
If I'm understanding the statement of the problem, you want to replace all the normal forces on the little patches of area of the top by one effective normal force.

This effective normal force should produce the same net force on the top and the same net torque on the top (about an arbitrarily chosen origin) as the individual normal forces on the patches.

So, you will have to think about where the effective normal force must be located to produce the correct torque on the top of the box.

Likes Vibhor
So , I should not think in terms of average of all the normal forces to get the net normal force , rather the net normal forces on the walls by the water should be such that they produce zero force as well as zero torque in the frame of box ?

I think I also need to bring in net force on the left and right walls as well . The magnitude of net force on left wall by water will be more than the right wall .

Vibhor said:
So , I should not think in terms of average of all the normal forces to get the net normal force , rather the net normal forces on the walls by the water should be such that they produce zero force as well as zero torque in the frame of box ?
You do not need to consider all of the walls in order to answer the original question. You only need to consider the top wall.

However, it is interesting to work out all of the walls.

TSny said:
You do not need to consider all of the walls in order to answer the original question. You only need to consider the top wall.

Sorry . I am stuck . Could you please elaborate .

Practice with a couple of simple examples. In figure (a) below, how would you replace the two individual forces by one equivalent force? Repeat for figure (b).
upload_2016-7-23_23-41-43.png

Likes Vibhor
Ah ! This is a wonderful pictorial explanation TSny .

Thank you so much :smile:

Glad it helped.

Likes Vibhor
TSny ,

I just wanted to confirm a few things .

a) If we put the origin of the coordinate system in the accelerated frame at the topmost left point then pressure varies along the top according to ##\frac{dP}{dx} = -\rho a x ## ( 'a' is acceleration of the box) .

b) The equipressure lines would make an angle ##\pi - tan^{-1}(\frac{a}{g})## with the direction of acceleration of the box .

c) Even if the closed box was partially filled with water OR if the box was partially filled with the top opened to atmosphere , the lines of equal pressure would still make an angle ##\pi - tan^{-1}(\frac{a}{g})## with the direction of acceleration of the box .

d) The direction of effective gravity in all the cases ( closed box completely filled with water , closed box partially filled with water , open box partially filled ) would be same . The noticeable difference would be that in case of closed box completely filled with water there would be no free surface . Whereas in the other two cases , water will have free surface tilted such that it is perpendicular to direction of effective gravity .

Is there anything unreasonable I have written ?

Many Thanks

That all looks good to me. I think you could just as well say that the angle is ##\tan^{-1} \left( \frac{a}{g} \right)## rather than ##\pi - \tan^{-1} \left(\frac{a}{g} \right)##. But either one is fine.

Likes Vibhor
The thing which creates confusion is that despite everything being similar in the case , when closed box is completely full and when it is partially full , is the visibility of a tilted free surface in the latter . But I guess that is because the topmost layer of water is constrained to be in the position it is (not free to move ) , both by the top surface of box above it and water beneath it . Is there more to it ?

Yes. It's essentially the same as having zero acceleration of the box, but just tilting the box.
upload_2016-7-25_13-16-39.png

Likes Vibhor

1. How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation is derived from the principles of conservation of energy and mass. It states that in an ideal fluid, the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy at any point in the fluid is constant.

2. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to both liquids and gases?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation can be applied to both liquids and gases as long as the fluid is incompressible and the flow is steady, meaning the fluid properties do not change with time.

3. How can Bernoulli's equation be used in calculating fluid flow?

Bernoulli's equation can be applied in calculating fluid flow by considering two points along the flow path. At these two points, the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy must be equal. This allows for the calculation of quantities such as velocity, pressure, and flow rate.

4. What are some real-life applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has various real-life applications, including calculating the lift force on an airplane wing, determining the flow rate of water through a pipe, and predicting the behavior of fluids in a hydraulic system.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Bernoulli's equation. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and there is no energy loss due to friction. In real-life situations, these assumptions may not hold, leading to inaccuracies in the calculations.