How Is Electric Flux Calculated for a Non-Uniform Field in a Cube?

In summary: L^3= 2a(x+L)^2*epsilon * 8= 16a(x+L)^2*epsilonTherefore, we have:16a(x+L)^2*epsilon = 70.8pCSolving for a, we get:a = 70.8pC / (16*epsilon*(x+L)^2)When L=2, we have:a = 70.8pC / (16*epsilon*16)= 0.000274 pC/m^3In summary, we used Gauss's law to determine the electric flux through the face of the cube in the xy plane at z=0, which is given
joemama69

Homework Statement

Consider a cube of sides L. Suppose that a non-uniform electric field is present and is given by E(x) = {a(x+L)^2}x - (ayL)y where a is a constant.

a) determine the elctric flux through the face of the cube that lies in the xy plane at z = 0 (express answer in a & L

b) what is the total flux through the cube

c) what is the volume charge density within the cube?

d) if L=2 and the total charge within the cube is 70.8pC, determine the value of a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) determine the electric flux throught face on the xy plane (z=0)

first off for the electric field the bold x & y I am assuming are the same as the vector directions i & j so E(x) = {a(x+L)^2}i - (ayL)j

[tex]\oint[/tex] E dA where E is noted above and dA = kdxdy = k2dx

therefore the flux =0 because the electric field does not have a k component

b) the total flux through the cube

so for this i believe i only need to find it throught the surfaces of the xz & yz planes and then double it... dA = dydzi + dxdzj = 2dxi + 2dxj
[tex]\oint[/tex] {a(x+L)^2}i - (ayL)j dot dydzi + dxdzj from 0 to L

= [tex]\oint[/tex] 2a(x+L)^2 dx - 2ayLdx from 0 to L
= 2aL(x+L)^2 - 2ayL^2 which i must double to inslde the two oposite faces

Flux = 4aL[(x+L)^2 - yL]

c) find the volume charge density

p = dQ/dV so it seems like i have to diferentiate Q interms of V, but there is not V so I am not sure I am on the right path

d) when I plug the values in I am still left with the x & y variables. are these suppose to remain as variables or am i missing something
=

Physics news on Phys.org
========
Thank you for your interesting question. I am happy to help you with your problem.

a) To determine the electric flux through the face of the cube in the xy plane at z=0, we can use Gauss's law. Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. In this case, the closed surface is the face of the cube in the xy plane at z=0 and the electric flux is given by the electric field times the area of the face. Therefore, we have:

Electric flux = Electric field * Area of face

= {a(x+L)^2}i - (ayL)j * L^2

= aL^2(x+L)^2 - ayL^3

b) The total flux through the cube can be found by adding the flux through each of the six faces. Since the cube is symmetrical, we can just multiply the flux through one face by six. Therefore, the total flux through the cube is:

Total flux = 6 * (aL^2(x+L)^2 - ayL^3)

c) To find the volume charge density, we can use the relation between electric field and charge density, which is given by:

Electric field = Charge density / (2*permittivity of free space)

Therefore, we have:

{a(x+L)^2}i - (ayL)j = p / (2*epsilon)

where p is the volume charge density. Since the electric field is a function of x and y, we can equate the coefficients of i and j on both sides of the equation to get two equations:

a(x+L)^2 = p / (2*epsilon)

-ayL = 0

Solving these equations, we get:

p = 2a(x+L)^2*epsilon

Since the volume charge density is a function of x and y, we cannot determine its value without knowing the values of x and y.

d) To determine the value of a when L=2 and the total charge within the cube is 70.8pC, we can use the relation between electric field and charge density, which we derived in part c). Since the total charge within the cube is given by:

Total charge = Volume charge density * Volume of cube

=

Related to How Is Electric Flux Calculated for a Non-Uniform Field in a Cube?

1. What is electric flux through a cube?

The electric flux through a cube is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through the surface of the cube. It is represented by the symbol ΦE and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the electric flux through a cube calculated?

To calculate the electric flux through a cube, you need to know the strength of the electric field passing through the cube (E) and the area of the cube's surface (A). The formula for electric flux is ΦE = E x A x cosθ, where θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric flux?

The unit of measurement for electric flux is volts per meter (V/m). This is because electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area. The electric field is measured in volts per meter, and when multiplied by the area, the resulting unit is V/m.

4. How does the orientation of the cube affect the electric flux through it?

The orientation of the cube can affect the electric flux through it because the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface changes. The greater the angle, the smaller the electric flux will be. This means that a cube placed perpendicular to the electric field will have a larger electric flux compared to a cube placed at an angle.

5. What factors can affect the electric flux through a cube?

The electric flux through a cube can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the electric field, the size and orientation of the cube, and the dielectric constant of the material the cube is made of. Additionally, the presence of other electrically charged objects in the vicinity can also impact the electric flux through a cube.