How Is Electric Potential Energy Calculated in Electron Orbit Problems?

I have double checked my calculations and they seem to be correct. It is possible that there may be a mistake in the answer key or that the answer key is using a different unit for charge (i.e. microcoulombs instead of coulombs). Either way, your calculations are correct and the final answer should be -6.9E-18 J for electric potential energy.
Destrio

Homework Statement

An electron orbits a nucleus which carries a charge of +9.6E-19 C. If the electron's orbit radius is 2.0E-10 m, what is its electric potential energy?

Homework Equations

Ep = kQ1Q2/r
V = kQ/r
V = Ep/Q

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Ep = kQ1Q2/r
Ep = (9E9)(9.6E-19C)(-1.6E-19C) / (2.0E-10m)
Ep = -6.9E-18 J
the answer key is saying -6.9E-19 J

and V = kQ/r , V = Ep/Q
V = (9E9)(9.6E-19C) / (2.0E-10m)
V = 43.2 V
V = Ep/Q
Ep = 43.2 V x (1.6E-19)
Ep = -6.9E-18 J
the answer key is saying -6.9E-19 J

Am I doing something wrong, or is the answer key off by an exponent?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
you seem to be very correct to me

marlon

ok, thank you

Related to How Is Electric Potential Energy Calculated in Electron Orbit Problems?

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with stationary electric charges and the forces and fields they produce.

What is an electrostatics problem?

An electrostatics problem is a type of physics problem that involves the study and analysis of the behavior of stationary electric charges and the interactions between them.

What are some common applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, including in electronic devices, air purifiers, and electrostatic precipitators used to remove particulates from industrial exhaust. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of lightning and the Van de Graaff generator.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators in electrostatics?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to flow easily. This difference plays a significant role in how electric fields and forces behave in different materials.

How do you solve an electrostatics problem?

To solve an electrostatics problem, you need to understand the basic principles of electric charge, electric fields, and electric potential. You also need to be familiar with relevant equations and techniques for calculating electric field and potential, such as Coulomb's law and Gauss's law. Finally, you need to be able to apply these concepts and equations to the specific problem at hand.