How is energy stored in these fields?

• B
  • Thread starter AchillesWrathfulLove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Fields
In summary, energy is stored in the electric field by charging a capacitor, where the work done against the electric field is stored as energy between its plates. In the magnetic field, energy is stored in an inductor by changing the current, with the work done being stored as energy in the magnetic field within the coil.
AchillesWrathfulLove
How is energy stored in the following fields, please give an example for each field:

1. Electric field
2. Magnetic field
3. Gravitational field

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Consider a capacitor of capacitance C. The energy required to charge the capacitor to charge ##Q_0## is the energy that will be stored in the e-field between its plates. Why it is required energy to charge from charge 0 to charge ##Q_0##? Consider a capacitor that is already charged at charge ##q## and we want to charge it to charge ##q+dq##. Therefore we have to do work against the E-field that exists between its plates to transfer charge +dq from the negative plate to the positive plate and this work is ##dW=Vdq=\frac{q}{C}dq## . So the total work done to charge it from 0 to charge ##Q_0## is ##W=\int dW=\int_0^{Q_0}\frac{q}{C}dq=\frac{1}{2}\frac{Q_0^2}{C}## and this work is stored as E-field energy in the E-field between its plates.
2. Consider an inductor of inductance L. The energy required to "charge" the inductor to current ##I_0## is the energy that will be stored in the magnetic field inside the turns of the coil. Energy is required because we know that an inductor "resists" a change to its current from ##I## to ##I+dI## (due to Lenz's law). The work required to change the current from ##I## to ##I+dI## is ##dW=VIdt=L\frac{dI}{dt}Idt=LIdI## so the total work required is ##W=\int dW=\int_0^{I_0}LIdI=\frac{1}{2}LI_0^2##.

Please post homework and homework type questions in the homework sections, and use the template.

1. How is energy stored in electric fields?

Electric fields store energy through the separation of positive and negative charges. When work is done to move a charge from one point to another against an electric field, the charge gains potential energy. This potential energy is stored in the electric field and can be released when the charge is allowed to move back towards the opposite charge.

2. How is energy stored in magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields store energy through the alignment of magnetic domains within a material. When a magnetic field is applied to a material, the magnetic domains become aligned, storing energy. This energy can be released when the magnetic field is removed, causing the domains to return to their original random orientation.

3. How is energy stored in gravitational fields?

In gravitational fields, energy is stored through the position of an object in relation to a massive body. When an object is raised to a higher position, it gains potential energy due to its position in the gravitational field. This energy can be released when the object falls towards the massive body.

4. How is energy stored in chemical fields?

Chemical fields store energy through the arrangement of atoms and molecules in a substance. When a chemical reaction occurs, the bonds between atoms are broken and new bonds are formed. This rearrangement of atoms releases energy, which can be stored in the chemical bonds of the resulting products.

5. How is energy stored in nuclear fields?

Nuclear fields store energy through the binding of nucleons (protons and neutrons) in an atom's nucleus. When a nucleus undergoes a nuclear reaction, such as fission or fusion, energy is released due to the change in the binding energy of the nucleons. This energy can be harnessed for various purposes, such as electricity generation.