How is lift really generated?

• Thread starter asly2186
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary, lift is created by a combination of the Coanda effect and Bernoulli principle, as air is deflected down and pressure differences between the top and bottom of the wing play a role in generating lift.
asly2186
Alright: I've been getting interested into airplanes and the likes quite a lot recently, and one thing that i find difficult to grasp is how lift is created. From the videos and stuff I've seen, it sounds like lift is generated by pressure differences between the top and bottom of the wing. Which is caused by a high pressure area at the leading edge of the top of the wing (at a positive AoA) which gets sucked into the void at the back of the wing where air has been displaced. This causes , According to Bernoullli, lower pressure on top causing the higher pressure at the bottom to push the wing up.

So what's wrong with that? I know that a lot of people claim that pressure differences have very little to do with it, and that its all air being deflected down, as opposed to the wing basically being sucked up. And if it is air being deflected down, then that would mean that the wing isn't moving up, but just being pushed forward at the same angle as its AoA? Or is this what actually happens?

As you can tell I'm very confused, and decided to stop trying to figure it out myself and let other people do it for me. If you'd be so obliged.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The pressure differences do play a role in generating lift, however it is not the only factor. As you mentioned, air is also deflected down as it passes over the wing, creating an upward force. This is known as the Coanda effect. The Coanda effect is caused by the air flowing over the curved surface of the wing, which causes it to stick to the surface and be directed downward. This creates the downward force which acts in opposition to gravity, providing lift. At the same time, the air pressure on the bottom of the wing is higher than that on the top, due to the Bernoulli principle, which further contributes to the lift generated. Therefore, the combination of the Coanda effect and Bernoulli principle is responsible for the lift generated by an airplane's wings.

1. What is the principle of lift?

The principle of lift states that as air flows over a curved surface, such as a wing, the air pressure above the surface decreases, creating an area of low pressure. This difference in pressure creates a force called lift, which acts perpendicular to the direction of the airflow.

2. How does airfoil shape affect lift?

The shape of an airfoil, or wing, is designed to create the most efficient lift. The curved shape of the top surface and the flatter shape of the bottom surface creates a pressure difference, causing the air to flow faster over the top, creating lower pressure and therefore, lift.

3. What other factors contribute to lift?

Besides airfoil shape, other factors that contribute to lift include the angle of attack, or the angle at which the wing meets the airflow, and the speed of the aircraft. A higher angle of attack and faster speed can create greater lift.

4. How do airplanes generate lift?

Airplanes generate lift through a combination of factors, including their airfoil shape, angle of attack, and engine power. The curved shape of the wings and the downward angle of the engines help create the necessary lift force to keep the plane in the air.

5. Can lift be generated in other ways besides wings?

Yes, lift can also be generated through the use of other aerodynamic surfaces, such as helicopter rotor blades, propellers, and even sails on boats. These surfaces are designed to create a difference in air pressure, just like a wing, to generate lift and provide movement.