How is longitudinal wave spread

In summary, the conversation discusses the spread of longitudinal waves and the need for a graph to show how they are spread at different times. The provided link shows a graph for transverse waves and the conversation mentions the need for a similar graph for longitudinal waves. The equations X=ct and X=cT are mentioned, but they are not relevant to the solution. The proposed solution involves adding arrows of different lengths and directions to a picture of a spring under compression and tension. A second copy of the picture can be used to show the position of the wave at a later time.
zade70

Homework Statement

How is longitudinal wave spread?
http://s11.postimg.org/pm7hxibo3/vala.png
Here is how the transverse wave is spread in T/4, T/2, 3T/4, T (T- period)
I need the same graph for the longitudinal wave.

Homework Equations

X=c*T (c-velocity of moving of the wave)

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.google.al/search?q=long...KHW--DHkQ_AUIBygB&dpr=1#imgrc=NCmiLxCD1edSYM:
In this picture it is shown a longitudinal wave. How can I show how it is spread in T/4, T/2, 3T/4, T? Where will the rarefaction and compression be in different times?

Physics news on Phys.org
Same graph, only arrows go left-right instead of up-down. See e.g. here

By the way, you call that 'propagating', not 'spreading'.

And yes, rarefaction (valley) will be T/2 after compression (peak), just like in a transverse wave + maximum and - minimum are T/2 apart in time.

Similarly, rarefaction (valley) will be ##\lambda##/2 behind compression (peak), just like in a transverse wave + maximum and - minimum are ##\lambda##/2 apart in distance.

BvU said:
Same graph, only arrows go left-right instead of up-down. See e.g. here

By the way, you call that 'propagating', not 'spreading'.

And yes, rarefaction (valley) will be T/2 after compression (peak), just like in a transverse wave + maximum and - minimum are T/2 apart in time.

Similarly, rarefaction (valley) will be ##\lambda##/2 behind compression (peak), just like in a transverse wave + maximum and - minimum are ##\lambda##/2 apart in distance.
http://s30.postimg.org/igw0ava9t/vala1.png
I caught some moments from a video. Is each picture T/4, T/2, 3T/4, T? If no could you please draw it correctly? Thanks

Last edited:
Would you please first render the litteral problem statement ?
And: what relevant equations do you have to represent graphically ? ## X = ct## is a straight line...

BvU said:
Would you please first render the litteral problem statement ?
And: what relevant equations do you have to represent graphically ? ## X = ct## is a straight line...
I haven't got any equation to represent. I just wrote it because it is necessary to writ an equation related, but it has nothing to do with the solution. I just want the longitudinal wave spreading graphic

zade70 said:
I tried to do it. Is it correct? If yes, could you tell me where to put the other arrows (I haven't completed all the positions with them. http://s17.postimg.org/wcr8m3tnj/image.png
I find that drawing very hard to interpret.
I suggest starting with the diagram you first linked, showing a spring with various sections of it under compression and tension. You could try adding arrows of different lengths and directions to that, illustrating which parts are moving forward fastest etc.
To help construct that, you could make a second copy of the spring picture underneath and shifted a bit to the right, thereby showing where everything will be a a short time after the first picture.

1. How does a longitudinal wave spread through a medium?

A longitudinal wave spreads through a medium by compressing and expanding the particles of the medium in the same direction as the wave. This creates a series of areas of high and low pressure, resulting in the wave spreading through the medium.

2. What factors affect the speed at which a longitudinal wave spreads?

The speed at which a longitudinal wave spreads depends on the density and elasticity of the medium. In general, denser and more elastic mediums allow the wave to spread faster.

3. Can a longitudinal wave spread through a vacuum?

No, a longitudinal wave cannot spread through a vacuum as there are no particles in a vacuum to compress and expand.

4. How does the amplitude of a longitudinal wave affect its spread?

The amplitude of a longitudinal wave does not directly affect its spread. However, a higher amplitude can result in a stronger wave and can potentially travel further through a medium.

5. Is the spread of a longitudinal wave affected by the wavelength?

Yes, the wavelength of a longitudinal wave can affect its spread. In general, a longer wavelength can travel further through a medium compared to a shorter wavelength.