How Is Maximum Height Calculated for a Rocket in Free-Fall Acceleration?

In summary: So the maximum height is the distance it travels from the ground to the point where it runs out of fuel plus the distance from that point to its maximum height from free-fall acceleration.
strugglinGimp
A rocket on the ground, accelerates straight upward from rest with constant net acceleration "a" , until time "t" , when the fuel is depleted. Here "g" is a positive number equal to the magnitude of the acceleration "a" due to gravity.

-What is the maximum height reached in terms of a, t and/or g?

i've been stuck on this for awhile so any help will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of students ask this problem... :smile:

Show me what have you done so far? what is your interpretation?

i've come to see that the initial velocity is 0, the velocity of the rocket when it runs out of fuel is a*t which i got from the equation v = v_0 + at.

I'm guessing the maximum height is the distance it travels from the ground to the point where it runs out of fuel plus the distance from that point to its maximum height from free-fall acceleration.

So from the equation v^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(y) i got the distance from the ground to the point where it runs out of fuel to be a*t^2/2. This is as far as i have gotten and i am not sure how to find the other distance.

Well, the rocket's final speed when it's fuel is depleted will be the initial speed when it begins Free Fall with g acceleration and its final speed will be 0 when it reaches its max height.

so would the distance traveled to the max height during free fall acceleration be : 0= ((at^2/2)^2) +gy, and then y = -(a^2t^4)/4g?

and then would the maximum height be: (at^2)/2 - (a^2t^4)/4g ?

it doesn't look right, am i doing something wrong?

does it have anything to do with the fact that the problem stated that g is positive in this problem? :confused:

A rocket on the ground, accelerates straight upward from rest with constant net acceleration "a" , until time "t" , when the fuel is depleted. Here "g" is a positive number equal to the magnitude of the acceleration "a" due to gravity.

-What is the maximum height reached in terms of a, t and/or g?

Well the problem states g is a positive number equal to the magnitude of the acceleration a, ok. Let's make up negative and down positive then, so g is pointing the positive way and a will be pointing the negative way, also g magnitude will be equal to a.

Vector magnitudes are always positive, so I'm sure i gave the right interpretation.. if not let me know, my english is not that great.

now let's divide the problem in two parts, the one with acceleration -a and the other with acceleration g

Acceleration -a:

info:
[tex] V_{o} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] Y_{o} = 0 [/tex]

Using the equation:
[tex] V = V_{o} + at [/tex]
[tex] V = -at [/tex]

and:
[tex] Y - Y_{o} = V_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] Y = - \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Now let's work the second part

Acceleration g
info:
[tex] V_{o} = -at [/tex]
[tex] Y_{o} = - \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] V = 0 [/tex] at max height

Using the equation
[tex] V^2 = V_{o}^2 + 2a(Y-Y_{o}) [/tex]
[tex] 0 = (-at)^2 + 2g(Y_{max}+\frac{1}{2}at^2) [/tex]

[tex] Y_{max} = -\frac{a^2t^2}{2g} - \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to How Is Maximum Height Calculated for a Rocket in Free-Fall Acceleration?

What is free-fall acceleration and how is it different from regular acceleration?

Free-fall acceleration is the acceleration an object experiences when it is falling under the sole influence of gravity. It is different from regular acceleration because it only takes into account the effects of gravity, while regular acceleration can be influenced by other forces.

How is free-fall acceleration calculated?

Free-fall acceleration is calculated using the equation a = g, where "a" is the acceleration and "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth). This means that the acceleration of an object in free fall is always constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect free-fall acceleration?

The only factor that affects free-fall acceleration is the mass of the object. Objects with larger mass will experience the same acceleration due to gravity, but they will require more force to achieve that acceleration.

How does air resistance affect free-fall acceleration?

Air resistance can affect free-fall acceleration by slowing down the rate of acceleration of an object. As an object falls, it experiences air resistance which creates a force in the opposite direction of motion. This force increases as the object's velocity increases, ultimately reaching a point of equilibrium where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

Can free-fall acceleration be negative?

Yes, free-fall acceleration can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the acceleration due to gravity. For example, if an object is thrown upwards, it will experience a negative acceleration due to gravity until it reaches its maximum height and begins to fall back down.