How is my text book getting the components of a vector?

In summary, the textbook provides a method for finding the x and y components of a vector that is 130° from the positive x-axis and has a value of 5. This method involves multiplying 5(cos130°) and 5(sin130°) to get the x and y components respectively. This method is based on a rotation matrix and can also be justified using the double-angle formula. It is faster than the usual method of using a right triangle and can also be understood by visualizing the rotation of the vector.
student34

Homework Statement

My textbook shows a vector B 130° from the positive x-axis. B has a value of 5; it asks for the x and y components for B.

But they show a way other than SOH CAH TOA. They got the x component by multiplying 5(cos130°) and the y component by multiplying 5(sin130°). What is this method?

Homework Equations

All I know is SOH CAH TOA, but that obviously will not work in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily figure it out by putting B into a right triangle to get the x and y components. But I am interested in learning this technique too which I apparently missed some where along the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the usual method. sin and cos are defined for angles greater than 90, they can also be reduced
5(cos130°)=-5(cos50°)
5(sin130°)=5(sin50°)

(@student34)
I'm guessing the way you did it was to consider the triangle between the line and the y-axis (or x axis), then relate this to the x and y components with respect to the origin? This way is fine, but yeah, their way is faster.

Do you know how to use double-angle formula? You can use this to show why their method and your method both give the same result. hint: 130=90+40 and use this in the double-angle formula.

Fundamentally, their method is using a rotation matrix to rotate the line counter-clockwise. are you familiar with rotation matrix? You can sort of justify their method by drawing a couple of different positions of the line, and seeing how the angle changes and how that changes the x and y components. (try this out, I think it helps give a feel for what is going on)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. How are the components of a vector determined?

The components of a vector are determined by breaking down the vector into its horizontal and vertical components. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

3. How does a textbook explain the components of a vector?

A textbook typically explains the components of a vector by using diagrams and examples to demonstrate how a vector can be broken down into its components. It may also provide mathematical formulas and step-by-step explanations.

4. Why is understanding the components of a vector important?

Understanding the components of a vector is important because it allows us to accurately describe and analyze the motion and forces involved in various physical phenomena. It is also a fundamental concept in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and computer graphics.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of vector components?

You can practice and improve your understanding of vector components by solving practice problems, working through examples, and using interactive online resources. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources and explanations from teachers, tutors, or online communities.