Finding direction of force vector

In summary: It sounds as though there asking you to use trig to solve thing question, but I am unsure on how to go about it.Please find a tutorial on using trigonometry to solve this type of problem.In summary, the homework statement is that the magnitude of a force vector is 80.6 Newtons (N). The x component of this vector is directed along the +x axis and has a magnitude of 78.0 N. The y component points along the +y axis. The equation for finding the angle between the vector and the +x axis is found to be 30.016 degrees. The component of the vector along the +y axis is found to be 17.91 meters.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

The magnitude of a force vector is 80.6 Newtons (N). The x component of this vector is directed along the +x axis and has a magnitude of 78.0 N. The y component points along the +y axis. (a) Find the angle between and the +x axis. (b) Find the component of along the +y axis.[/B]

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the x and y components as distances on an x y graph and then finding the resultant force vector thinking it could be the hypotenuse, and then finding the angle between the bottom of the hypotenuse which was 78 units along the x-axis and then at that corner finding the angle which i used CAH of sohcahtoa to find cos(theta) as a/h or 78.043/2.6 giving me 30.016. [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
1. Homework Statement
The magnitude of a force vector https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7924/art/qb/qu/c01/EAT_1319521635256_0_8466828615424514.gif is 80.6 Newtons (N). The x component of this vector is directed along the +x axis and has a magnitude of 78.0 N. The y component points along the +y axis. (a) Find the angle between https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7924/art/qb/qu/c01/EAT_1319521635256_0_16365013397000572.gif and the +x axis. (b) Find the component of https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7924/art/qb/qu/c01/EAT_1319521635257_0_1791308789505699.gif along the +y axis.2. Homework Equations 3. The Attempt at a Solution
It sounds as though there asking you to use trig to solve thing question, but I am unsure on how to go about it.
Don't know what the crosses stand for.
The relevant equations have disappeared and so has your attempt at solution. Something about the sound of the exercise has appeared, but exercises don't make sound.
Please correct :rolleyes: and hope the mentors don't delete this outright ...

BvU said:
Don't know what the crosses stand for.
The relevant equations have disappeared and so has your attempt at solution. Something about the sound of the exercise has appeared, but exercises don't make sound.
Please correct :rolleyes: and hope the mentors don't delete this outright ...
done

Good !
Erenjaeger said:
I tried using the x and y components as distances on an x y graph and then finding the resultant force vector thinking it could be the hypotenuse, and then finding the angle between the bottom of the hypotenuse which was 78 units along the x-axis and then at that corner finding the angle which i used CAH of sohcahtoa to find cos(theta) as a/h or 78.043/2.6 giving me 30.016, not sure if this is correct or not
You only have the x-component (the 78 N). Call the y component ##F_y##. What would be the total force ? The total force is given as 80.6, so you can write 80.6 = ...(something with ##F_y## and the 78 N) ...
Make a sketch (you probably did, but post it -- or describe it. I find "CAH of sohcahtoa" very original, but can't make sense of it.

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a mathematical representation of a force, which includes both its magnitude and direction. It is typically shown as an arrow pointing in the direction of the force, with its length representing the magnitude of the force.

2. How do I find the direction of a force vector?

To find the direction of a force vector, you can use a protractor or compass to measure the angle between the force vector and a reference point, such as the x or y-axis. Alternatively, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the angle using the components of the force vector.

3. What is the difference between force and direction of a force vector?

Force refers to the physical push or pull acting on an object, while the direction of a force vector refers to the angle at which the force is acting. The direction of a force vector is an essential component of the vector, along with its magnitude, to fully describe the force.

4. Can the direction of a force vector change?

Yes, the direction of a force vector can change depending on the motion or orientation of the object on which the force is acting. For example, if a force is applied to an object at an angle, the direction of the force vector will change as the object moves.

5. How is the direction of a force vector used in physics?

The direction of a force vector is crucial in determining the net force acting on an object, which can affect the object's motion and acceleration. It is also used in calculating other physical quantities, such as work, energy, and torque, which are essential in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.