How is PbBr2 an ionic compound?

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of electrolysis with ionic compounds, specifically PbBr2. The confusion arises from the fact that a Pb atom has 4 electrons in its outer shell while a Br atom has 7 electrons, making it seem unlikely for them to bond. However, it is explained that lead can be multi-valent and form both ionic and covalent compounds. This is due to the complexity of the chemistry of metallic elements compared to alkali metals.
Ben Sanders
I'm studying electrolysis with ionic compound and the example refers to PbBr2
However, I'm confused as to why this would ever be a substance because a Pb atom has 4 electrons in its outer shell while a Br atom has 7 electrons in its outer shell. If the two Br atoms were to gain an electron each so they both have full outer shells then the Pb atom wouldn't have a full outer shell because it now has 2 electrons in its outer shell..
I thought atoms only bonded if they can get full outer shells..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ben Sanders said:
I'm studying electrolysis with ionic compound and the example refers to PbBr2
However, I'm confused as to why this would ever be a substance because a Pb atom has 4 electrons in its outer shell while a Br atom has 7 electrons in its outer shell. If the two Br atoms were to gain an electron each so they both have full outer shells then the Pb atom wouldn't have a full outer shell because it now has 2 electrons in its outer shell..
I thought atoms only bonded if they can get full outer shells..
Like a lot of metallic elements, lead is multi-valent. In the +2 oxidation state, the compounds which lead forms are ionic in nature; in the +4 state, primarily covalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead

In general, the chemistry of metallic elements like lead and iron is more complex than the chemistry of the alkali metals, for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valence_(chemistry)

Likes jim mcnamara and Dr. Courtney

1. What is the chemical formula for PbBr2?

The chemical formula for PbBr2 is lead (II) bromide.

2. How is PbBr2 formed?

PbBr2 is formed through the reaction of lead (II) oxide with hydrobromic acid.

3. Is PbBr2 an ionic or covalent compound?

PbBr2 is an ionic compound, as it is composed of positively charged lead ions and negatively charged bromide ions.

4. What is the crystal structure of PbBr2?

PbBr2 has a hexagonal crystal structure.

5. What are the properties of PbBr2?

PbBr2 is a white solid with a high melting point and low solubility in water. It is also toxic and can emit toxic fumes when heated.