How is the BTS connected to the BSC?

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bsc
In summary, the telecom industry does not require much science background, as the work mainly consists of installing antennas and connecting them to other equipment.
medwatt
Hello,
I have a bachelors in electrical engineering but doing an internship at a telecom place. My opinion after 3 weeks is that the telecom industry doesn't require much science background, I feel. I started at BTS sites installing GSM and 3G (CDMA) antennas, ran feeders/fiber optics into the radio frequency units (RFU) of the BTSs. I was later part of the transmission team that installed microwave link antennas. Here I found something I could relate to from my electromagnetics classes (antenna radiation pattern diagrams) even when the guys installing them had no idea what they meant. All they cared about was establishing a line of sight with another parabolic antenna. Later I moved to the BSC where I saw how links were made to the different BTSs via the LAPDm protocol.
The part I didn't understand is how are the BTS and the BSC interfaced. I kept hearing about E1 connection. I know what the E1 link is; that it has 32 channels; that it has a data rate of 2Mbps etc. What I don't seem to understand is:
1) Why is E1 used and not ethernet for example ?
2) How is the E1 connected ?
3) How many TRX can the E1 support ?

I went to the BSC cabinet rooms and was shown a rack of ports which are used to connect to the E1s.
4) How does a specfic port at the BSC know which E1 it is connecting to when the typologies used are ring and cascade ?

I have limited knowledge on E1s. I have searched google but couldn't find anything to explain my questions. Please provide answers if you can.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How is the BTS connected to the BSC?

The BTS (Base Transceiver Station) and BSC (Base Station Controller) are connected through a wired or wireless connection. This connection allows the BSC to control and manage multiple BTS units, which are responsible for transmitting and receiving cellular signals.

2. What is the function of the BTS in the connection to the BSC?

The BTS is responsible for converting digital data from mobile devices into radio signals and transmitting them to the BSC. It also receives incoming signals from the BSC and converts them into digital data for the mobile device.

3. How does the BSC control the BTS units?

The BSC uses a control channel to communicate with the BTS units. This channel is used for signaling and control purposes, such as allocating radio channels, controlling power levels, and managing handovers between BTS units.

4. What is the significance of the connection between BTS and BSC?

The connection between BTS and BSC is crucial for the operation of a cellular network. It allows for efficient management and control of multiple BTS units, ensuring reliable communication for mobile devices within the network.

5. Can the BTS and BSC be located in different locations?

Yes, the BTS and BSC can be located in different locations. This is known as a distributed architecture and is commonly used in larger cellular networks. In this case, the BTS units are connected to the BSC through a backhaul network, such as fiber optic cables or microwave links.