Atmospheric pressure- where do we get the mass?

In summary, at sea level, the external force of atmospheric pressure is equal to 15 pounds per square inch, using the formula ##P = \frac{Force}{Area}## where the area is 1 square inch and the acceleration is the gravitational constant. The mass of all the gas molecules above us determines the force, which can be approximated by applying the equilibrium force balance. The height of 30 inches in a barometer corresponds to the height of the mercury column, and it indicates the pressure of 14.7 pounds per square inch. In equilibrium, the upward normal force exerted by the surface of the Earth on the column of air is equal to the weight of the air column, which is balanced by the normal force
opus said:
Yes as I understand it, the gases don't have time to be exhaled as they come out of solution too quickly and small bubbles come into formation inside the body. Are these gases the cause for our pressurization?
These gases are a result of the pressurization. These gases, mostly dissolved, are also present at 1 atmospheric pressure.

Likes opus
Chemistry news on Phys.org
opus said:
In the second cases, you are removing weight, or pressure, from the top. In the first two scenarios its by removing books, in the last it's removing some amount of column of air from atop the glass. I think I've been looking for a deeper, more complicated answer for no reason as you've said. Sorry about that.
No prob - it's common to overcomplicated these things. One follow-up though:

I think the reason for this confusion is that you have the impression that the pressure needs to somehow be "relieved". This is only true for rigid containers. The human body is not a rigid container, it's just a flexible bag of water.

...unless you have a sinus or ear infection...

Likes opus
opus said:
...what are the causes of our pressurization?
What do you mean? Under what circumstances? You mean like in regular life?

Likes opus
@opus One item that might help you to understand gas pressure is to look at the pressure in a couple of ways: The atmospheric pressure is caused by the weight of the column of air above us, all the way to the outer atmosphere. If you consider a spaceship outside the Earth's atmosphere, it doesn't have the weight of the column of air, but it needs to have the inside air pressure maintained by having sufficient air inside to create an internal pressure, following the ideal gas equation ## PV=nRT ##. If there are sufficient number of gas particles at a given temperature, the pressure is automatically created. The spaceship needs to be able to withstand this internal pressure with very solid (perhaps somewhat elastic) walls or it could easily rupture and come apart. Outside the spacecraft , there is no external air pressure to balance the internal pressure.

Likes opus
That's because a weight will not only increase pressure but also strain. The volume of you hand practically does not change. It is the deformation of your hand, that you feel. You can feel pressure changes in an airplane or when diving, because the volume of the gas in your body changes. Once you do pressure accomodation, you won't note the pressure change.

Likes opus
russ_watters said:
No prob - it's common to overcomplicated these things. One follow-up though:

I think the reason for this confusion is that you have the impression that the pressure needs to somehow be "relieved". This is only true for rigid containers. The human body is not a rigid container, it's just a flexible bag of water.

...unless you have a sinus or ear infection...
Yes I suppose that has been a problem for me as there are certain examples that I try to think of that aren't exactly the same. For example, increasing the temperature of a full SCUBA tank would increase the pressure and not the volume because it's a steel container. But if we did the same thing to a flexible balloon, it would be able to expand and increase it's volume to maintain the same pressure.

DaveC426913 said:
What do you mean? Under what circumstances? You mean like in regular life?
Yes my original confusion lied in the uncertainty in how the human body was pressurized to "push back" against the outside 14.7 psi for the equilibrium.
Charles Link said:
@opus One item that might help you to understand gas pressure is to look at the pressure in a couple of ways: The atmospheric pressure is caused by the weight of the column of air above us, all the way to the outer atmosphere. If you consider a spaceship outside the Earth's atmosphere, it doesn't have the weight of the column of air, but it needs to have the inside air pressure maintained by having sufficient air inside to create an internal pressure, following the ideal gas equation ## PV=nRT ##. If there are sufficient number of gas particles at a given temperature, the pressure is automatically created. The spaceship needs to be able to withstand this internal pressure with very solid (perhaps somewhat elastic) walls or it could easily rupture and come apart. Outside the spacecraft , there is no external air pressure to balance the internal pressure.
So if we left the surface of the Earth, and our cockpit was pressurized to 1 ata, once we got out of the atmosphere, we would have 14 pounds of outward pressure per square inch, but nothing on the outside to push back and balance it out. Sounds like potential for a big explosion!

Likes russ_watters and Charles Link
opus said:
Yes my original confusion lied in the uncertainty in how the human body was pressurized to "push back" against the outside 14.7 psi for the equilibrium.
Ok, you're clear on that now though, yes?

Anything made on Earth (including babies) will have 1 atmosphere of pressure - unless there's a cause for it to be otherwise (lower pressure or higher pressure).

Likes opus
DaveC426913 said:
Ok, you're clear on that now though, yes?

Anything made on Earth (including babies) will have 1 atmosphere of pressure - unless there's a cause for it to be otherwise (lower pressure or higher pressure).
I am indeed. Thank you!