How is the Solution to the Given Recurrence Relation Derived?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Recurrence
In summary, a recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that recursively defines a sequence or function. Its purpose is to find a closed-form expression for the sequence or function, making computation easier and more efficient. There are several methods to solve a recurrence relation, including substitution, iteration, generating functions, and the master theorem. The difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous recurrence relation lies in their coefficients and solving methods. Not all recurrence relations can be solved, as some may not have a closed-form solution or require advanced techniques. In these cases, approximations or numerical methods may be used.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I need some explanations at the proof of the following theorem.

Theorem:

Let $a$, $b$ and $c$ be nonnegative constants.

The solution to the recurrence $$T(n)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
b & ,\text{ for } n=1\\
aT(n/c)+bn & ,\text{ for } n>1
\end{matrix}\right.$$
for $n$ a power of $c$ is $$T(n)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
O(n) & ,\text{ if } a<c\\
O(n \log n) & ,\text{ if } a=c\\
O(n^{\log_c a}) & ,\text{ if } a>c
\end{matrix}\right.$$

Proof:

If $n$ is a power of $c$, then $$T(n)=bn \sum_{i=0}^{\log_c n} r^i, \text{ where } r=a/c$$

If $a<c$, then $\displaystyle{\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}r^i}$ converges, so $T(n)$ is $O(n)$.

If $a=c$, then each term in the sum is unity, and there are $O(\log n)$ terms. Thus $T(n)$ is $O(n \log n)$.

Finally, if $a>c$ then $\displaystyle{bn\sum_{i=0}^{\log_c n} r^i=bn\frac{r^{1+\log_c n}-1}{r-1}}$, which is $O(a^{\log_c n})$ or equivalently $O(n^{\log_c a})$.
My questions are the following:

1. Why is $T(n)$ equal to $bn \sum_{i=0}^{\log_c n} r^i$, where $r=a/c$ if $n$ is a power of $c$ ??

2. If $a<c$: why does $\displaystyle{\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}r^i}$ converge??

3. If $a=c$: why is each term of the sum unity??

4. If $a>c$: why does $\displaystyle{bn\sum_{i=0}^{\log_c n} r^i=bn\frac{r^{1+\log_c n}-1}{r-1}}$ only in this case??

(Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The recurrence relation states that $T(n)$ is equal to $aT(n/c)+bn$ for $n>1$. This can be rewritten as $T(n)=aT(n/c) + bn$, which can then be expanded as $T(n)=aT(n/c)+ aT(n/c^2)+...+aT(n/c^{\log_cn})+bn$. Since $T(1) = b$, the result follows. 2. When $a < c$, the sum $\displaystyle{\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}r^i}$ converges since $|r| < 1$.3. When $a = c$, the sum $\displaystyle{\sum_{i=0}^{\log_c n}r^i}$ has each term equal to unity since $r = 1$.4. When $a > c$, the sum $\displaystyle{bn\sum_{i=0}^{\log_c n} r^i=bn\frac{r^{1+\log_c n}-1}{r-1}}$ because it can be rearranged to be in the form of a geometric series with common ratio $r$ and $n$ terms.

Related to How is the Solution to the Given Recurrence Relation Derived?

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that recursively defines a sequence or function. It describes how a value in a sequence depends on previous values in the sequence.

2. What is the purpose of solving a recurrence relation?

The purpose of solving a recurrence relation is to find a closed-form expression for a sequence or function, which allows for easier and more efficient computation of its values.

3. What methods can be used to solve a recurrence relation?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a recurrence relation, including substitution, iteration, generating functions, and the master theorem. The most appropriate method depends on the specific characteristics of the recurrence relation.

4. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous recurrence relation?

A homogeneous recurrence relation has a constant coefficient and does not have any external terms, while a non-homogeneous recurrence relation has a variable coefficient or external terms. Solving a homogeneous recurrence relation typically involves finding the roots of its characteristic equation, while solving a non-homogeneous recurrence relation involves a combination of methods.

5. Can all recurrence relations be solved?

No, not all recurrence relations can be solved. Some may not have a closed-form solution, while others may require advanced mathematical techniques that are not yet known. In these cases, approximations or numerical methods may be used to estimate the values of the sequence or function.