How to Solve the Complex Polynomial Product Equation?

• Thread starter anandzoom
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a polynomial equation of degree 56 and the attempt to find a solution for it. The left side of the equation is multiplied out and the highest power terms cancel out, leading to the assumption that a lot of high-power terms on the right side may also cancel out. It is speculated that the right side is simply an expansion of the left side, resulting in all terms cancelling out. However, the original poster has not provided any evidence of their attempt at solving the problem, violating the rules of the forum.
anandzoom
(1+x+x2+x3+x4+x5+x6+x7+x8)(1+x2+x4+x6+x8)(1+x3+x6)(1+x4+x8)(1+x5)(1+x6)(1+x7)(1+x8) = 1+x+2x2+3x3+5x4+7x5+11x6+15x7+22x8+...+x56
Please explain me the step-wise procedure to arrive at the solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anandzoom said:
(1+x+x2+x3+x4+x5+x6+x7+x8)(1+x2+x4+x6+x8)(1+x3+x6)(1+x4+x8)(1+x5)(1+x6)(1+x7)(1+x8) = 1+x+2x2+3x3+5x4+7x5+11x6+15x7+22x8+...+x56
Please explain me the step-wise procedure to arrive at the solution.
Are those supposed to be exponents on the variable, x ?

Use that X2 feature in the green bar above the edit/composition box.
This gives something like: (1+x+x2+x3+x4+x5+x6+x7+x8)(1+x2+x4+x6+x8) ...

Furthermore:
You should use the supplied template when starting a thread, as well as showing an attempt at solving/understanding the problem you're presenting.

The only way I see to solve it is to multiply out the left side. Then move everything to one side and hope that many of the high-exponent terms disappear. Maybe there will only be a low order polynomial left. Look for the zeros of the polynomial.

Assuming those are exponents, that is a polynomial equation of degree 56. There exist "formulas" for polynomial equations of degree 4 or less but there is NO 'step by step" way of solving a general polynomial of degree five or higher and certainly not 56!

HallsofIvy said:
Assuming those are exponents, that is a polynomial equation of degree 56. There exist "formulas" for polynomial equations of degree 4 or less but there is NO 'step by step" way of solving a general polynomial of degree five or higher and certainly not 56!
I noticed that the x56 term cancels out. I assume the question has been rigged so that many terms cancel out.

FactChecker said:
I noticed that the x56 term cancels out. I assume the question has been rigged so that many terms cancel out.
Everything is in '+' ... terms can cancel out only if there is some '-' if I'm right

anandzoom said:
Everything is in '+' ... terms can cancel out only if there is some '-' if I'm right
Notice that both sides have +x56. (To see that on the left, scan through all that multiplication and notice that all the highest power terms multiply out to +x56). ) You can subtract x56 from both sides and the rest stays equal. My guess is that a lot of the high-power terms cancel out just like x56.

FactChecker said:
Notice that both sides have +x56. (To see that on the left, scan through all that multiplication and notice that all the highest power terms multiply out to +x56). ) You can subtract x56 from both sides and the rest stays equal. My guess is that a lot of the high-power terms cancel out just like x56.
My guess is that the right hand side is merely the expansion of the left hand side, so they ALL cancel.

OP still has not complied with PF rules.

In the homework help forums, posts seeking assistance must be accompanied by evidence of the member's attempt at solving the problem. No such evidence has been provided here.

Thread closed.

1. What are the steps for solving an equation?

The steps for solving an equation are identifying the variable, combining like terms, isolating the variable, and checking the solution.

2. How do I know which operation to use when solving an equation?

You can determine which operation to use by looking at what is being done to the variable. If the variable is being added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided, you should use the inverse operation to isolate the variable.

3. What does it mean to solve an equation?

Solving an equation means finding the value of the variable that makes the equation true.

4. Can an equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an equation can have multiple solutions. This means there are multiple values for the variable that make the equation true.

5. What should I do if I get a negative number when solving an equation?

If you get a negative number when solving an equation, you should continue solving until you get a single value for the variable. Then, you can check if the solution makes the equation true. If it does, then the negative number is a valid solution.