How is voltage on a sphere affected by edges?

In summary, jambaugh said that the voltage will be the same throughout the metal, but that if the seams are not perfect, they will have a small effect. However, he does not have a precise estimate for the magnitude of the effect.
G Cooke
I have two metal half-spheres, each with a hole in the center. If I put these two together, perhaps with electrical tape, and apply a charge, how will the voltage due to the nonuniform charge distribution be different from that of a perfect sphere?

I am assuming that the charge distribution will be nonuniform due to the edges present at the holes and possibly at the seam between the two halves since charge is always more dense at edges and corners, so V will not be exactly kq/r.

I am mainly interested in whether the voltage would be greater or less than kq/r and how significant the difference would be. Although I wouldn't mind it if someone actually came up with a new function for the voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably need a two-dimensional numerical simulation for a proper estimate. I would not expect large deviations as long as the holes are small compared to the sphere diameter, probably (that is a guess) increasing the voltage (relative to infinity) a bit.

It could be interesting to study the limiting case of holes that cover nearly the whole half-spheres, so your setup becomes ring-like.

Likes G Cooke
The voltage will be the same throughout the metal as that is the nature of a conductor in equilibrium state. You are correct in that the charge density will not be uniform. There will be slightly more dense charge near the boundary. Since you are "squeezing" more charge in a smaller area (having cut out a hole) you will have a slightly higher value than kq/r for the voltage.

Likes G Cooke
mfb said:
You'll probably need a two-dimensional numerical simulation for a proper estimate. I would not expect large deviations as long as the holes are small compared to the sphere diameter, probably (that is a guess) increasing the voltage (relative to infinity) a bit.

It could be interesting to study the limiting case of holes that cover nearly the whole half-spheres, so your setup becomes ring-like.
Thank you for your reply! The holes are small compared to the diameter.

So the seam between the two half-spheres wouldn't have any effect?

jambaugh said:
The voltage will be the same throughout the metal as that is the nature of a conductor in equilibrium state. You are correct in that the charge density will not be uniform. There will be slightly more dense charge near the boundary. Since you are "squeezing" more charge in a smaller area (having cut out a hole) you will have a slightly higher value than kq/r for the voltage.
Thank you for your reply! That does make sense that since we are packing more charge in a smaller surface area than if the hole were filled, we will have a larger voltage.

So you don't think the seam between the spheres would have any effect?

G Cooke said:
So the seam between the two half-spheres wouldn't have any effect?
Depends on details of the seam.
G Cooke said:
That does make sense that since we are packing more charge in a smaller surface area than if the hole were filled, we will have a larger voltage.
Well, you also have a smaller area... but still the same radius.

Likes G Cooke
Very little effect if the seams are not deviating far from the spherical shape. What is typically the difficulty with sharp edges is that at a given high voltage the charge density gets high enough that breakdown occurs and you get currents off the surface (arching or ionization). But it is not the voltage per se which again is the same throughout the metal, but rather the off-surface potential gradient and the charge density that causes issues with sharp edges and such.

Likes G Cooke
mfb said:
Depends on details of the seam.
I assume that by details you are referring to any deviations from perfect flushness all the way around. But I suppose, as jambaugh said, these will have little effect if they are small.
mfb said:
I think you're thinking about the case where you put charge on a sphere and then cut out a hole. In that case, you couldn't simply say that because the area is smaller, the voltage is larger. But if there is already a hole and you put on some charge, it must necessarily have a greater voltage than if there were no hole, right?

Last edited:
G Cooke said:
I assume that by details you are referring to any deviations from perfect flushness all the way around. But I suppose, as jambaugh said, these will have little effect if they are small.
Right.
G Cooke said:
I think you're thinking about the case where you put charge on a sphere and then cut out a hole.
Well then you reduce the total charge and the situation is quite obvious.
G Cooke said:
But if there is already a hole and you put on some charge, it must necessarily have a greater voltage than if there were no hole, right?
I would expect that, but I don't see a fully convincing argument yet.

Likes G Cooke
mfb said:
Oh, I see what you're saying now. You're saying that even though the presence of a hole means that we're putting the same charge in a smaller area, the radius is still the same, so kq/r will still be the same whether there's a hole or not.
mfb said:
I would expect that, but I don't see a fully convincing argument yet.
I would argue that voltage is charge over capacitance, and capacitance is by definition a function of only conductor surface area, space between conductors (undefined for a single sphere), and permittivity of the dielectric inside the conductor (assumed to be air); therefore, if given the amount of charge, voltage is solely dependent on (and inversely proportional to) surface area. For a sphere, surface area itself depends solely on radius; therefore voltage can be said to depend solely on radius (hence V = kq/r). But the introduction of a hole parameter terminates the surface area's sole dependence on radius; therefore, voltage cannot be said to depend solely on radius, and V = kq/r no longer applies. The new formula would likely involve the radius of the hole along with the sphere radius.

In short, V = kq/r applies only for actual spheres.

Last edited:
Capacitance in general is not proportional to surface area. It applies to some special geometries, but it is not true in general.
G Cooke said:
In short, V = kq/r applies only for actual spheres.
Right.

Likes G Cooke

Related to How is voltage on a sphere affected by edges?

1. How does the voltage on a sphere change near the edge?

The voltage on a sphere near the edge will decrease. This is because the electric field lines near the edge are more curved, resulting in a higher electric field strength and a lower voltage.

2. Does the shape of the edge affect the voltage on a sphere?

Yes, the shape of the edge can affect the voltage on a sphere. A sharper edge will result in a higher electric field strength and a lower voltage, while a smoother edge will have a lower electric field strength and a higher voltage.

3. How does the distance between the edge and the center of the sphere affect the voltage?

The distance between the edge and the center of the sphere will affect the voltage in an inverse relationship. As the distance increases, the voltage will decrease, and vice versa. This is due to the electric field strength being inversely proportional to the distance.

4. Does the material of the sphere affect the voltage near the edges?

Yes, the material of the sphere can affect the voltage near the edges. Conductive materials will have a more uniform voltage distribution, while insulating materials will have a higher voltage near the edges due to a buildup of charge.

5. Can the voltage on a sphere near the edge ever be zero?

No, the voltage on a sphere near the edge can never be zero. This is because there will always be some amount of electric field near the edge, resulting in a non-zero voltage. However, the voltage can approach zero as the distance between the edge and the center of the sphere increases.