How Is Work Calculated When Stretching a Spring?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done on a spring with a given spring constant and unstretched length when stretched from one length to another. Two attempts are made, one using the equation W=(1/2) kx^2 and the other using the equation W= (1/2) k xf^2 - (1/2) k xi^2. The correct attempt is the second one and the incorrect answer may be due to rounding errors. The idea of finding the area under the curve of an x vs. F graph is also mentioned.
jumptheair

Homework Statement

Consider a spring with spring constant k = 8.42 N/m with an unstretched length of 0.250 m. How much work do you do on the spring in stretching it from a length of L1 = 0.450 m to a length of L2 = 0.559 m?

Homework Equations

F= kx
W=(1/2) kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

since work is area under the curve of x vs. F graph, I did:
W=(1/2)(8.42)(0.559-0.450)^2 = 0.0500 J (wrong answer)
wrong maybe because this works only when u start at the unstretched length?

So I also tried W= (1/2) k xf^2 - (1/2) k xi^2 [where xf = 0.559 and xi=0.450)
=0.464J (still wrong)

What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know it is wrong? Do you have the answer, or are you inputting it in some automated homework system? Because I think you did the right thing (that is, one of your attempts is right) but you didn't round correctly.

The correct attempt is the last one (tell me if you know about integration, then I can tell you why). But also your first remark, about the area under the curve, you are right. Try plotting the curve, marking the area you want to get and then try to see what you did wrong (in particular, also try marking the area you actually calculated in the first attempt).

Your approach to finding the work done on the spring is on the right track, but there are a few things to consider. First, when using the equation W=(1/2) kx^2, the value of x should be the distance that the spring is stretched from its unstretched length. In this case, that would be (0.450-0.250) = 0.200 m. So the correct calculation would be W=(1/2)(8.42)(0.200)^2 = 0.042 J.

Additionally, when using the equation W=(1/2) k xf^2 - (1/2) k xi^2, the values of xi and xf should be the initial and final lengths of the spring, not the distances from the unstretched length. So the correct calculation would be W=(1/2)(8.42)(0.559)^2 - (1/2)(8.42)(0.450)^2 = 0.040 J.

In both cases, the work done on the spring is relatively small, which makes sense since the spring is only being stretched a small amount.

Related to How Is Work Calculated When Stretching a Spring?

What is spring force?

Spring force is a type of force that occurs when a spring is stretched or compressed. It is a restoring force that always acts in the opposite direction of the displacement of the spring.

How is spring force calculated?

Spring force can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The formula for spring force is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What is the relationship between spring force and work?

Spring force and work are directly related. When a spring is stretched or compressed, work is done on the spring, and the spring exerts an equal amount of force in the opposite direction. The work done by the spring force can be calculated using the formula W = 1/2kx^2, where W is the work, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What is the unit of measurement for spring force?

The unit of measurement for spring force is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

Can spring force do negative work?

Yes, spring force can do negative work. This occurs when the displacement of the spring is in the opposite direction of the force. Negative work is also known as work done against the force and results in a decrease in the spring's potential energy.