How LLMs work and other things

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, ChatGPT is a chatbot that was developed to help with summarizing content from sources such as Reddit and StackExchange. It is being marketed as a way to make money from LLM training, but it has not been successful thus far.
Computer science news on Phys.org
If a social network can monetize my posts, I want my cut.

Grelbr42 said:
If a social network can monetize my posts, I want my cut.
That's not how it works now. You are the product and the social media company makes its money by selling your eyes to advertisers, using your posts (including non public ones) to target the ads. Your "payment" is the free use of the website.

I'm skeptical though that publicly available information can be monetized for LLM training. These posts are public because we want as many people to read them as possible.

Last edited:
In case others didn't see this:

Greg Bernhardt said:
We're the #1 most represented physics domain in Google C4 dataset!

View attachment 325203

• Wow
Likes ComplexVar89, jedishrfu and FactChecker
jedishrfu said:
What do you think @Greg Bernhardt ?
PF will have a search chatbot trained on our posts at some point, yes. I don't know about monetizing though. Also, Reddit and Stack and many times larger than PF, so they have much more data to work with.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't know about monetizing though.
You should inform yourself quickly!
I have read somewhere that SE went over the counter for billions! Ok, let's be honest. It was only 1.8 billion.

6/3/21 said:
StackExchange, known as StackOverflow, has been sold to Prosus for $1.8 billion. This includes the TeX StackExchange Q&A site (TeX.SE). Prosus is a technology investor and holding company that already owns companies like Udemy, Codecadamy and Brainly (“Your 24/7 homework helper”). After $153 million in investor funds, hiring a former investment banker as head, several rounds of layoffs, moderators leaving, becoming more efficient by standardizing sites, exit speculation, it wasn't really surprising. Official communications and Joel Spolsky's announcement say "business as usual" and that everything will continue as is. So, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I have read somewhere that SE went over the counter for billions! Ok, let's be honest. It was only 1.8 billion.
Pretty aggressive considering LLMs are likely going to put SE out of business.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Pretty aggressive considering LLMs are likely going to put SE out of business.
Maybe SE but certainly not MO (and possibly other Overflows I don't know of). The discussions there are really on an academic level.

And with regards to SE: yes, they might have more sections than we have, but we are far better than they are.
We do not downgrade users for correct answers, and we do not delete seemingly silly questions as long as the user shows his efforts to come to a conclusion, just to mention two aspects we are better at, despite all users who think we would be unfair. At least we try. SE punishes.

Likes ComplexVar89 and jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
Maybe SE but certainly not MO (and possibly other Overflows I don't know of). The discussions there are really on an academic level.
You just wait a couple of years. I'm interested to see what Wolfram Alpha's plugin can do with ChatGPT.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Greg Bernhardt said:
You just wait a couple of years. I'm interested to see what Wolfram Alpha's plugin can do with ChatGPT.
I would have expected that ChatGPT would analyze at least Wikipedia in general and WA on my specific question
1682736311918-png.png

Both are obviously not the case. It failed to check Wikipedia on bismuth, and WA on primes. There is a long way ahead once the general hype has settled down.

Likes jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
I would have expected that ChatGPT would analyze at least Wikipedia in general and WA on my specific question
View attachment 325759

Both are obviously not the case. It failed to check Wikipedia on bismuth, and WA on primes. There is a long way ahead once the general hype has settled down.
It can't browse the internet yet (there is an alpha model) but it is trained on a lot of wiki pages. I don't disagree there are issues, but the tech is moving quickly. We'll get there before too long.

Likes ComplexVar89 and jedishrfu

1. How does an LLM degree differ from a traditional law degree?

An LLM (Master of Laws) degree is a postgraduate degree that focuses on a specific area of law, such as international law or intellectual property law. It is typically pursued by individuals who have already completed a law degree and wish to specialize in a particular field.

2. What are the benefits of obtaining an LLM degree?

An LLM degree can provide a deeper understanding and expertise in a specific area of law, making graduates more competitive in the job market. It can also lead to higher salaries and opportunities for advancement within the legal field.

3. How long does it take to complete an LLM degree?

The length of an LLM program can vary depending on the institution and program, but it typically takes one year to complete full-time or two to three years part-time.

4. Are there any prerequisites for pursuing an LLM degree?

In most cases, applicants must hold a law degree or have significant experience in the legal field in order to be accepted into an LLM program. Some programs may also require specific undergraduate coursework or a certain GPA.

5. Can I practice law with an LLM degree?

An LLM degree does not typically qualify individuals to practice law in most countries. However, it can open up opportunities for legal work in specialized areas or in countries with different legal systems. It can also serve as a stepping stone for pursuing a Juris Doctor (JD) degree and becoming a licensed attorney.