How long did it take you to get driver's licenses?

• Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
In summary: The road test part took 15 minutes, then another 15 minutes to get my permanent license, the rest of the time was taking the test and waiting for an officer to take me for the driving test. I called ahead and made an appointment so i did not have to wait in line.You can find this out by calling your local motor vehicles driver's license office.Yes, it would probably take around a year to get the full license in the US. It can depend on your state and how long your license has been expired.
TheMacNerd
Hi,

So I just renewed and passed my driver's learner permit today (my old permit expired, so i had to re-take the test to get a new one), and my question is roughly how long did it take you people to pass the road test and get a full driver's license? My goal is to get my full driver's license within the year.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question will depend on which country you are from, as different countries have very different standards on how to obtain a driver's license. Here in Ontario, Canada, where I live, we have a two-stage driver's license system, where you have a driver's learner permit (which you obtain by taking a written test), then an intermediate driver's license (where you are able to drive the main roads unaccompanied, but can only drive on major highways with someone with a full license) after the first road test, and then the full driver's license after the 2nd road test (usually taken at a minimum of 6 months you've passed the first road test).

So it would take a minimum of 1 year (more likely 2 years) to obtain the full license.

Is this for a first time driver or to renew an expired license for an existing driver? In the US it depends on the state and the length of time the license has been expired, in my state, under a year, just apply online for a renewal, over a year, go in, take the written test, if you pass, then you immediately take the driven test and immediately get your permanent license, takes about an hour.

The road test part took 15 minutes, then another 15 minutes to get my permanent license, the rest of the time was taking the test and waiting for an officer to take me for the driving test. I called ahead and made an appointment so i did not have to wait in line.

You can find this out by calling your local motor vehicles driver's license office.

Evo said:
Is this for a first time driver or to renew an expired license for an existing driver?
The OP mentioned renewing an expired learner's permit, so it seems like he/she is a first time driver who didn't get the regular license by the time the learner's permit expired.

Evo said:
You can find this out by calling your local motor vehicles driver's license office.
Yes, this is definitely what should happen. It's not something that we're really prepared to answer.

Mark44 said:
The OP mentioned renewing an expired learner's permit, so it seems like he/she is a first time driver who didn't get the regular license by the time the learner's permit expired.
Yes, they need to call their driver's license office and ask since they didn't already ask. Here if your license has been expired over a year (mine was, due to my surgeries) I was treated as a new driver and had to start all over.

Where I live you can take your drivers test at 16. If you pass the test you get a provisional license (this is after your learners permit). There are quite a few restrictions on the license such as a passenger limit and a curfew, but most go away after 6 months. All restrictions are gone when you turn 18.

Evo said:
Is this for a first time driver or to renew an expired license for an existing driver? In the US it depends on the state and the length of time the license has been expired, in my state, under a year, just apply online for a renewal, over a year, go in, take the written test, if you pass, then you immediately take the driven test and immediately get your permanent license, takes about an hour.

The road test part took 15 minutes, then another 15 minutes to get my permanent license, the rest of the time was taking the test and waiting for an officer to take me for the driving test. I called ahead and made an appointment so i did not have to wait in line.

Yes my old driver permit expired so they treated me as a new driver. It cost me almost $70 to renew my permit but this time is definitely for sure that I will get my full drivers license.

In Pennsylvania when I got my license, you could get a learners permit at 16 with a written test, which I did. I got a drivers ed book in my required high school course and it was only like 20 pages so I simply memorized it. All you had to do to get the license was to wait six months, have someone with a valid license over 21 sign off that you did 100 hours of practice driving with them in the seat, then go pass the test. So I got it six months after my 16th birthday. Perhaps the tests are easier in rural PA but all I had to do was drive around one dirt road with a single stop sign on it, then parallel park.

newjerseyrunner said:
In Pennsylvania when I got my license, you could get a learners permit at 16 with a written test, which I did. I got a drivers ed book in my required high school course and it was only like 20 pages so I simply memorized it. All you had to do to get the license was to wait six months, have someone with a valid license over 21 sign off that you did 100 hours of practice driving with them in the seat, then go pass the test. So I got it six months after my 16th birthday. Perhaps the tests are easier in rural PA but all I had to do was drive around one dirt road with a single stop sign on it, then parallel park.

If I'm in Pennsylvania (or New Jersey, given your handle name) I'll know to watch out for you on the road! :wink::-p:biggrin:

Likes newjerseyrunner

What is the typical timeline for obtaining a driver's license?

The timeline for obtaining a driver's license can vary depending on the state or country in which you live. Generally, it involves completing a driver's education course, passing a written and practical driving test, and meeting age and residency requirements. This process can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

How long does it take to get a driver's license if you are under 18?

The process for obtaining a driver's license if you are under 18 typically takes longer than if you are over 18. This is because most states have graduated driver's licensing laws, which require teen drivers to hold a learner's permit for a certain period of time and complete a certain number of hours of supervised driving before obtaining a full license.

Can you get a driver's license in one day?

In most cases, it is not possible to obtain a driver's license in one day. There are usually multiple steps and requirements that must be completed before a license can be issued, such as passing a written and practical driving test, providing documentation, and paying fees. However, some states may offer expedited services for an additional fee.

How long does it take to renew a driver's license?

The process for renewing a driver's license can vary depending on the state or country. In some cases, it can be done online or by mail, which can take a few weeks. If you need to renew in person, it may require making an appointment and could take a few hours.

How long does it take to get a driver's license if you are a new resident?

If you are a new resident of a state or country, the process for obtaining a driver's license can take longer than if you are a current resident. This may involve transferring your out-of-state or international license, providing additional documentation, and taking any necessary tests. The timeline can vary from a few weeks to several months.