How long does it take a football to reach max height?

In summary, the football with an initial velocity of 30 m/s at 30 degrees up from the horizontal will take 1 second to reach the top of its flight. This can be calculated by setting the vertical velocity to 0 and using the equation Δy= ½ (Vf + Vo) t. Another way to calculate it is by using the equation for vertical displacement, which would result in a time of 1.53 seconds.
DeathEater

Homework Statement

how long does it take a football, with an initial velocity of 30 m/s at 30 degrees up from the horizontal, to reach the top of its flight?

Homework Equations

Δy= ½ (Vf + Vo) t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Vf= 0 m/s here because when it reaches the highest point, it stops for a split second. I also know that the horizontal component is 30sin(30), which equals 15. I then plugged it into the equation above to get

15= ½ (0+30)t → 15= 15t → t= 1 second.
Is this process correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeathEater said:
I know that Vf= 0 m/s here because when it reaches the highest point, it stops for a split second

Yes, in the vertical direction the ball's velocity will be zero at some instant.

DeathEater said:
I also know that the horizontal component is 30sin(30), which equals 15

You mean 'vertical,' right?

DeathEater said:
Δy= ½ (Vf + Vo) t
DeathEater said:
15= ½ (0+30)t → 15= 15t → t= 1 second.

I see two unknowns in this equation. You have plugged in a speed for a displacement. If you want to use that particular equation to find time you'll first need to find the vertical displacement. There is, however, another way to do it. What do you think?

brainpushups said:
Yes, in the vertical direction the ball's velocity will be zero at some instant.
You mean 'vertical,' right?

I see two unknowns in this equation. You have plugged in a speed for a displacement. If you want to use that particular equation to find time you'll first need to find the vertical displacement. There is, however, another way to do it. What do you think?

okay I see my mistakes, and yes I did mean vertical, thank you. Could I do change in vertical velocity (which is 0-15m/s) = acceleration in the y direction times time to figure it out? so -15 = -9.8 (t) -----> so time = 1.53 seconds?

Looks good.

Related to How long does it take a football to reach max height?

1. How is the maximum height of a football determined?

The maximum height of a football is determined by its initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity acting upon it. These factors can be calculated using physics principles such as projectile motion equations.

2. How long does it take for a football to reach its maximum height?

The time it takes for a football to reach its maximum height depends on its initial velocity and launch angle. It can range from a few seconds to a few seconds, depending on these factors.

3. Does air resistance affect the time it takes for a football to reach its maximum height?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time it takes for a football to reach its maximum height. The more air resistance there is, the longer it will take for the football to reach its maximum height.

4. How does the density of the air affect the time it takes for a football to reach its maximum height?

The density of the air can affect the time it takes for a football to reach its maximum height. The denser the air, the more air resistance there is, and the longer it will take for the football to reach its maximum height.

5. Can a football reach a different maximum height depending on the surface it is kicked from?

Yes, a football can reach a different maximum height depending on the surface it is kicked from. A softer surface, such as grass, can absorb some of the impact and result in a lower maximum height compared to a harder surface, such as turf or concrete.