How Long Does It Take for a 1kg Black Hole to Absorb 10kg of Mass?

• Thread starter hydrostar905
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary: Your name]In summary, we are given a problem where a black hole with a mass of 1 kilogram is moving at a constant speed of 30 meters per second, and we need to determine how much time it would take for the black hole to suck in 10 kilograms of mass. Using the equations for the Schwarzschild radius and velocity, we can calculate the time to be 10 seconds. We also take into account the Earth being all water with a density of 1000 kg/m^3, and use the concept of velocity to solve for time.
hydrostar905

Homework Statement

A crazy scientist creates a black hole with a mass of 1 kilogram. The black hole gets lost, as it shifts to the center then oscillates. Assume that the Earth is all water with the same density and the same temperature of 4 degrees celsius. With the black hole moving at a speed of 30 meters per second constantly, how much time does it take for the black hole to suck in 10 kg of mass?

Homework Equations

Schwartzchild radius
(any others?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the schwarzschild radius of 120,060 kilograms. I also found that 1 kilogram is equal to 5.03 x 10^(-31) solar masses. I'm not sure where to go after getting the schwarzschild radius and solar mass, however, plus I'm puzzled about how the "earth being all water" is put into the problem using mathematics. This is an important grade for my college, class, however, so any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am always intrigued by questions related to black holes and their behavior. Let's take a closer look at the problem and see if we can find a solution.

First, let's clarify some concepts. The Schwarzschild radius is the radius at which the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light, and is given by the equation Rs = 2GM/c^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole, and c is the speed of light. In this case, with a mass of 1 kilogram, the Schwarzschild radius would be 1.48 x 10^-27 meters.

Now, let's consider the Earth being all water with a density of 1000 kg/m^3. This means that every cubic meter of water has a mass of 1000 kilograms. Since we are looking at a black hole with a mass of 1 kilogram, it would take 0.001 cubic meters of water to equal its mass.

Next, we need to consider the speed of the black hole, which is given as 30 meters per second. This means that the black hole will cover a distance of 30 meters in one second.

Now, we can calculate the time it would take for the black hole to suck in 10 kilograms of mass. We can do this by dividing the mass of 10 kilograms by the mass of 1 kilogram (since the black hole is moving at a constant speed) and then multiplying by the distance of 30 meters. This gives us a total distance of 300 meters.

Using the formula for velocity (v = d/t) we can rearrange it to solve for time (t = d/v). Plugging in the values, we get a time of 10 seconds. This means that it would take 10 seconds for the black hole to suck in 10 kilograms of mass.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and guide you in the right direction. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Related to How Long Does It Take for a 1kg Black Hole to Absorb 10kg of Mass?

1. How did the black hole initially form?

The formation of a 1kg black hole is still a mystery. However, it is believed that they could be formed from the collapse of a massive star or from the merging of smaller black holes.

2. What happens to the matter that gets absorbed by the black hole?

The matter that gets absorbed by the black hole is compressed into an infinitely small point at the center of the black hole, known as the singularity. This point has an extremely strong gravitational pull, which is why nothing, not even light, can escape from a black hole.

3. How does the black hole's journey affect its surroundings?

The black hole's journey can have a significant impact on its surroundings. As it moves through space, it can distort the fabric of space-time, causing gravitational waves. It can also pull in matter from its surroundings, which can lead to the formation of accretion disks and powerful jets of energy.

4. Can we observe the journey of a 1kg black hole?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to directly observe the journey of a 1kg black hole. This is because they are too small and have a weak gravitational pull compared to larger black holes. However, we can indirectly observe their effects on their surroundings, such as the gravitational waves they produce.

5. Is it possible to predict the path of a 1kg black hole?

Due to the complex nature of the universe, it is not currently possible to accurately predict the path of a 1kg black hole. However, scientists can use mathematical models and simulations to make educated guesses about the possible trajectories of these tiny black holes.