How long does it take for a cut tree to fall flat to the ground?

In summary, the time taken for a tree to fall flat to the ground can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the tree and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This is similar to an inverted pendulum problem.
Batman123
I am trying to work out the time taken for a tree that has been cut at its base to fall flat to the ground. More detailed picture here ...http://i.imgur.com/RYS3D.png"
The tree is not experiencing wind resistance, and is pivoting from the centre of the trees base. the tree also starts at zero velocity and then accelerates towards the left

I have been looking at the problem myself and think it must be something to do with an inverted pendulum.

Regards Batman

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time taken for the tree to fall flat to the ground can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the tree from its base to the center of mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. So in this case, if the tree has a length of L meters, it will take T = 2π√(L/g) seconds for the tree to fall flat to the ground.

Related to How long does it take for a cut tree to fall flat to the ground?

What is the process of felling a tree?

Felling a tree involves cutting down a standing tree, typically for harvesting timber or clearing land. It requires proper planning, safety precautions, and the use of specialized tools such as chainsaws.

What are the steps to safely fell a tree?

The steps to safely fell a tree include assessing the tree and its surroundings, determining the direction of fall, making a proper notch and backcut, and using wedges or a rope to control the fall. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and have proper training before attempting to fell a tree.

Why is it important to have a plan before felling a tree?

Haphazardly felling a tree can be dangerous and result in damage to property or injury. Having a plan ensures that the tree is safely and efficiently cut down in the desired direction. It also helps to prevent accidents and minimize environmental impact.

What are some potential hazards when felling a tree?

Some potential hazards when felling a tree include falling branches, uneven ground, and the tree falling in an unexpected direction. Other hazards include the improper use of tools, lack of protective gear, and not following safety protocols.

What should I do with a felled tree?

The use of the felled tree will depend on the reason it was cut down. If it was for timber, it can be processed and used for various purposes such as construction or furniture. If it was for clearing land, the tree can be disposed of properly through chipping or burning, or used as firewood.