How long does it take for the toboggan to reach the bottom of the slope?

In summary, the question is about a toboggan carrying sand down an icy slope at a 30 degree angle. The sand leaks from the toboggan at a rate of 2.3kg/s. Using a linear relationship, the weight and acceleration of the system can be determined. Accounting for the sand's exit velocity, the time taken for the toboggan to reach the bottom of the slope is approximately 5.105 seconds.
Sekonda
Hey guys, here is the question :

A 5.4kg toboggan carrying 35kg of sand slides from rest down an icy 90m slope inclined
at 30◦ below the horizontal. The sand leaks from the back of the toboggan at a rate of
2.3kgs−1. How long does it take the toboggan to reach the bottom of the slope?

I found that the mass of the system at anyone time can be written as a simple linear relationship and so the weight of the system down the slope at any time 't' can also be expressed using this same relationship.

Using this to determine the acceleration down the slope at any time 't', I found that the acceleration is constant at 0.5g down the slope.

Using the SUVAT equations I then determined the time taken to be approximately 6.061s.

Is this correct? Or am I being an idiot somewhere :P

Thanks for any comments/help
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that the sand is exiting parallel to the direction of motion will add acceleration to the sled.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, I thought I had oversimplified the problem. I factored that in and got the time as about 5.105s.

Cheers man!

1. What is "Classical - Toboggan on slope"?

"Classical - Toboggan on slope" is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a toboggan is slid down a slope, such as a hill or mountain. It is a form of recreational activity and a popular winter sport.

2. What is the history of tobogganing?

Tobogganing has been around for centuries and was originally used as a mode of transportation in snowy regions. It became a popular recreational activity in the 19th century and has since evolved into a competitive sport.

3. What are the safety precautions for tobogganing?

To ensure safe tobogganing, it is important to wear appropriate gear such as a helmet and warm clothing. It is also important to choose a slope that is suitable for your skill level and to always sled in a controlled manner.

4. How does the slope affect tobogganing?

The slope of the hill or mountain can greatly impact the speed and trajectory of the toboggan. Steeper slopes will result in a faster and more thrilling ride, while gentler slopes may be better for beginners.

5. Are there any health benefits to tobogganing?

Tobogganing is not only a fun winter activity, but it also has some health benefits. It can improve cardiovascular health, strengthen leg muscles, and improve balance and coordination.