How long does it take to learn Chinese?

• Thread starter timpani
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of time it takes to learn Chinese and how it varies depending on the individual's learning style and dedication. It also mentions a person from Sweden who learned Chinese in 3 years through intense studying. However, it concludes that the learning process ultimately depends on the individual's level of commitment and immersion in the language. The thread is then closed.
timpani
If a person study one hour per day, how long does it take to learn it?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on how you learn it... To be honest, Chinese is one of the most difficult language, even viewed from me such a Chinese-native...

Enough to get by, or like a native?

Not that I know the answer, but it makes a big difference.

timpani said:
If a person study one hour per day, how long does it take to learn it?

Likes billy_joule and Sophia
I knew someone from Sweden who learned Chinese within 3 years, he had ADHD and said he spent an abnormal amount of time studying it, almost like an obsession. I am not sure what skill level he has, but he has no problem speaking / writing it and gets by in China. So I guess it depends on how much you want to learn it? If you are thrown out into a village in China, you will learn it much faster than say studying it for an hour a day :P

1. How long does it take to learn Chinese at a basic level?

The time it takes to learn Chinese at a basic level can vary depending on the individual's dedication, learning style, and amount of practice. However, on average, it takes about 6-12 months of consistent studying to reach a basic level of proficiency in Chinese.

2. Is it difficult to learn Chinese?

Learning any language can be challenging, but Chinese may be considered more difficult for English speakers due to its tonal nature and complex writing system. However, with consistent practice and a good study plan, anyone can learn Chinese.

3. How long does it take to become fluent in Chinese?

Becoming fluent in Chinese is a long-term process that can take several years of consistent study and practice. It also depends on the individual's definition of fluency and their level of immersion in the language.

4. Can I learn Chinese quickly?

It is possible to learn Chinese quickly, but it requires a lot of dedication and intensive study. Some language programs offer accelerated courses that can help learners reach a basic level of proficiency in a shorter amount of time.

5. How important is immersion in learning Chinese?

Immersion can greatly enhance the learning process for Chinese as it provides opportunities to practice speaking and listening skills in real-life situations. However, it is not necessary for learning Chinese, as there are many resources and methods available for learning the language without immersion.