How Long to Fill Tank with 3 Pumps?

• Thread starter gloppypop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank Water
In summary, when three pumps are attached to a three-dimensional tank, Pump A fills the tank in 15 minutes, Pump B fills the tank in 30 minutes, and Pump C fills the tank in 60 minutes. When all three pumps are turned on at the same time, the total rate at which the tank is filled is 1 tank/8.57 minutes. Therefore, it would take 8.57 minutes to fill the tank with all three pumps turned on simultaneously. This can be calculated by adding the individual rates of each pump, which are 1 tank/15 minutes, 1 tank/30 minutes, and 1 tank/60 minutes, respectively. The answer is not incorrect, despite what others may say,
gloppypop

Homework Statement

Three pumps are attached to a three-dimensional tank. They pump water into the tank at a constant rate.

Pump A when turned on alone fills up the tank in 15min.

Pump B when turned on alone fills up the tank in 30min.

Pump C when turned on alone fills up the tank in 60min.

If ALL THREE pumps are turned on at the same time, how long will it take to fill up the tank?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The volume of the tank doesn't matter in this question. So I tried to find the rates at which each pump filled up the tank.

Pump A: Rate A = 1 tank/15min
Pump B: Rate B = 1 tank/30min
Pump C: Rate C = 1 tank/60min

I then added the rates, since they are each constant: Rate A + Rate B + Rate C = 7tank/60min = 1 tank/8.57min.

8.57 min to fill the tank with all three pumps turned on. This was incorrect.

I'm kicking myself because I've already taken classical mechanics and a sufficient amount of math courses, yet I can't seem to think out this simple problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer seems right to me. If you think about the time taken to fill the tank will all the pumps filling simultaneously, is less than that taken by the pump A which has highest rate as it should be. This is just ratio proportion kind of problem. I think you are making it complicate by thinking about classical mechanics.

Yes, this has to be right... My classmate was telling me it was wrong and it had me really irked. Thought I was goin crazy for a minute.

Thanks =]

1. How long will it take to fill a tank using 3 pumps?

The time it takes to fill a tank with 3 pumps will depend on the size of the tank and the flow rate of the pumps. It can range from a few minutes to several hours.

2. What is the formula for calculating the time to fill a tank with 3 pumps?

The formula for calculating the time to fill a tank with 3 pumps is: time = volume of tank / (flow rate of pump 1 + flow rate of pump 2 + flow rate of pump 3).

3. Can the time to fill a tank with 3 pumps be shortened by using more powerful pumps?

Yes, using more powerful pumps with a higher flow rate can significantly reduce the time it takes to fill a tank with 3 pumps.

4. How do I determine the flow rate of a pump?

The flow rate of a pump can be determined by measuring the volume of water it can pump in a certain amount of time. This is usually measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the time to fill a tank with 3 pumps?

Yes, other factors that can affect the time to fill a tank with 3 pumps include the diameter of the pipes, the height difference between the pump and the tank, and any obstructions or restrictions in the pipes.