How Many Amps flow through the lightbulb

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with a 120V AC input and multiple transformers. The question is how many volts and amps are impressed across and flow through the lightbulb. The solution involves using the equations for power, voltage, and current to determine the input current based on the output power in the first transformer. The conversation ends with the individual understanding and thanking the expert for their help.
Mr530
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7161/physics.png

I only have one more chance at this problem and I can't understand why it isn't 1. I assumed that power in = power out and power = current x voltage. If the voltage remains constant, wouldn't the current as well?

"In the circuit shown, how many volts are impressed across and how many amps flow through the lightbulb?"

(120V ac)--> 100 turns -->10 turns [1 A] --> 10 turns --> 100 turns --> lightbulb

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Input power = [120V]*[I A]
Out put power = [..V]*[..A] ?

i'm still confused... are you saying 120v * 1 amp? Sorry, I am really bad at electricity, but don't the turns mean anything?

120v * 1 amp
It is not one, it is 'I'
In the first transformer, what is the out put power? From that find the input current.

so if I use V=IR how would I calculate I? I= V/R. but what do I plug in as the resistance? I am so bad at physics :(

From the tern ratio you can find the output voltage in the first transformer. The current is given. Find the output power. Equate it to input power and find the input current.

I am still confused. "The current is given?" maybe I am just fundamentally misinterpreting the diagram. Does it say "1A" or "IA." and either way, what does it mean?

I figured it out! Thank you so much!

1. How do I calculate the amps flowing through a lightbulb?

The amps flowing through a lightbulb can be calculated by dividing the voltage of the circuit by the resistance of the lightbulb. This can be represented by the formula I=V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

2. What is the standard amperage for a lightbulb?

The standard amperage for a lightbulb can vary depending on the type and wattage of the bulb. However, most household lightbulbs have an amperage range of 0.5-1.5 amps.

3. Can the amperage of a lightbulb be changed?

No, the amperage of a lightbulb is determined by the voltage and resistance of the circuit it is connected to. Changing the amperage would require altering these factors.

4. Does the amperage of a lightbulb affect its brightness?

Yes, the amperage of a lightbulb is directly related to its brightness. The higher the amperage, the brighter the lightbulb will be.

5. How does the amperage of a lightbulb affect its lifespan?

The amperage of a lightbulb can affect its lifespan by causing it to overheat if the amperage is too high. This can lead to a shorter lifespan for the bulb. It is important to use the correct wattage and amperage for a lightbulb to avoid this issue.