How Many Beta Phases Are Involved in Turkish Cymbal Making?

• Thread starter Mustafa Umut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beta Phases
In summary, the conversation is about researching Turkish cymbal making technology and discovering that beta phase is an important part of the process. Beta phase has a specific tin ratio and requires heating the metal to a certain temperature before cooling it quickly. There is some discussion about the number of beta phases and the importance of heating and cooling times.
Mustafa Umut
I am researching Turkish cymbal making technology and I discovered and learned that they made in beta phase.
Beta phase comes within % 23 to % 25 tin ratio and 625 to 780 - not exactly , you must look to diagram - degrees heat.
I found few phase diagrams and it seems to me there is only one beta phase in diagrams , very norrow triangle.
But I found some chat about beta phases and they are talking about beta 1 or beta 2 and others.
Do you know how many strange beta phases hidden inside B diagram ?
And is it enough to heat the disc to cherry red and put into the water or is there a time to wait as necessary waiting time ?

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Mustafa...we seem to be on a similar path. I know from casting bronze that when you cool it quickly it becomes easier to work (soft) and I have heard that if you hold it at high temperature for say half an hour it becomes much harder than you would expect. So maybe the benefit of holding it at that temperature may be lost by the quick cooling that follows...or it may make it a stronger cymbal...

Technical University

Thank you for sharing your research on Turkish cymbal making technology with me. It is fascinating to learn about the different phases involved in creating cymbals, specifically the beta phase.

From my understanding, the beta phase is a specific composition of the cymbal's bronze material that occurs within a range of 23-25% tin ratio and requires a specific heating temperature of 625-780 degrees. I am not sure about the exact number of beta phases within the phase diagram, as it can vary depending on the composition of the bronze material used.

In terms of the heating process, it is not just about reaching a certain temperature and then cooling it in water. The time and rate of heating and cooling can also affect the final product and its properties. It is important to follow a specific heating and cooling process to achieve the desired beta phase and its characteristics.

I recommend further research and experimentation to fully understand the different beta phases and their effects on cymbal making. Thank you for your inquiry and best of luck with your research.

Best regards,

Related to How Many Beta Phases Are Involved in Turkish Cymbal Making?

What is Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases?

Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases is a type of alloy that is commonly used in the production of cymbals for musical instruments. It is a combination of copper, tin, and traces of other elements, which gives it its unique sound and durability.

What are the properties of Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases?

Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases has a high density, which contributes to its bright and rich sound. It is also known for its strength and resistance to corrosion, making it a popular choice for cymbals that are constantly exposed to moisture and frequent use.

How is Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases made?

Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases is made through a process called smelting, where copper and tin are melted together at high temperatures. The resulting alloy is then cooled and shaped into sheets or rods, which are then used to make cymbals through a process of heating, shaping, and polishing.

What makes Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases different from other cymbal materials?

Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases is known for its unique sound, which is a result of its composition and manufacturing process. It is also more durable and resistant to corrosion compared to other cymbal materials, making it a popular choice among professional musicians.

Are there different types of Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases?

Yes, there are different variations of Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases, each with its own unique sound and properties. These variations are often referred to as "grades" and are classified based on the percentage of copper and tin in the alloy. The most common grades are B8, B20, and B25.

Back