How Many Bound States Does a Radially Symmetric Delta Potential with l=0 Admit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a delta potential with l=0 and how many bound states it admits. The radial equation reduces to a one-dimensional TISE and can be solved by matching the conditions at r=a. The "discontinuity equation" leads to only one energy and bound state, but there is skepticism due to the hint that the number of bound states may depend on "a".
mathman44
Dirac "bubble potential"

Homework Statement

Consider a radially symmetric delta potential V(r) = −Vo * δ(r − a) with l=0. How many bound states does this system admit?

The Attempt at a Solution

With l=0, the radial equation reduces to the one dimensional TISE. So, solving the 1D TISE with a delta potential V(r) = −Vo * δ(r − a):

I have [tex]R_{in} = A\exp{kr}[/tex] for r < a
[tex]R_{out} = A\exp{k(2a-r)}[/tex] for r > a

which I obtained my matching the condition R_in = R_out at r=a. Also, the "discontinuity equation" gives me that

[tex] k = \frac{mV_o}{\hbar^2} [/tex]

meaning that there is only one energy and only one bound state. I don't believe this to be correct... especially since the question hints that the number of bound states should depend on "a".

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Bump.

Related to How Many Bound States Does a Radially Symmetric Delta Potential with l=0 Admit?

1. What is the Dirac bubble potential?

The Dirac bubble potential is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the electromagnetic interaction between a charged particle and a spherical bubble of charge. It is named after physicist Paul Dirac, who first proposed the concept in the 1930s.

2. How is the Dirac bubble potential different from other potential models?

The Dirac bubble potential differs from other potential models in that it takes into account the quantum nature of particles, as well as the spherical symmetry of the bubble. It also incorporates aspects of special relativity, making it a more comprehensive model for describing the interactions between particles and bubbles of charge.

3. What are some practical applications of the Dirac bubble potential?

The Dirac bubble potential has been used to explain the behavior of particles in condensed matter systems, such as electrons in metals and semiconductors. It has also been applied in studies of nuclear physics and astrophysics, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies.

4. Can the Dirac bubble potential be experimentally verified?

While the Dirac bubble potential is a widely accepted theoretical model, it has not been directly observed or measured in experiments. However, its predictions have been confirmed by various experiments and its use has led to significant advancements in our understanding of the behavior of particles and materials.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Dirac bubble potential?

Some criticisms of the Dirac bubble potential include its complexity and the difficulty in applying it to real-world systems. It also does not take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations and can only accurately describe interactions at low energies. However, it remains a valuable tool for studying and explaining many physical phenomena.