How Many Bright Spots Are Visible When Laser Shines Through Slits?

• Thread starter hellowmad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the angular position of the first diffraction minimum for a 480 nm laser incident on a barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m and a screen 2.0 m behind is θ≈sinθ= λ/a. With a second slit of the same width and centers 2.4 x 10-4 m apart, the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region are -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, resulting in a total of 5. This is based on the equations dsinθ=mλ and x=λml/d for constructive and destructive interference, respectively.
hellowmad
Homework Statement
The 480 nm laser is incident on an opaque barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m. A screen to view the light intensity pattern is 2.0 m behind the barrier. Then a 2nd slit of the same width is made in the barrier. The centers of the slits are 2.4 x 10-4 m apart. Approximately how many smaller bright spots are now observable within the central bright region?
Relevant Equations
d sinθ = mλ for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(constructive)
d sinθ = (m + 1/2 λ) for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(destructive)
x =λml/d
The angular position of t)he first diffraction minimum is θ≈sinθ= λ/a, and dsinθ=mλ, so m = (dsinθ) /=[d(λ/a)]/λ =d/a = (2.4 x 10-4 m)/(8.0 x 10-5 m) =3.
Since both bright and dark pots separated on both sides of central bright region, so the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region is -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, which leads to total 5.
I want to see if I do it right.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hellowmad said:
Well, there's a picture here. Is that what you mean with your question ?

(PF doesn't really do approval stamps :wink: .)

##\ ##

Likes hellowmad
hellowmad said:
Homework Statement: The 480 nm laser is incident on an opaque barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m. A screen to view the light intensity pattern is 2.0 m behind the barrier. Then a 2nd slit of the same width is made in the barrier. The centers of the slits are 2.4 x 10-4 m apart. Approximately how many smaller bright spots are now observable within the central bright region?
Relevant Equations: d sinθ = mλ for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(constructive)
d sinθ = (m + 1/2 λ) for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(destructive)
x =λml/d

The angular position of t)he first diffraction minimum is θ≈sinθ= λ/a, and dsinθ=mλ, so m = (dsinθ) /=[d(λ/a)]/λ =d/a = (2.4 x 10-4 m)/(8.0 x 10-5 m) =3.
Since both bright and dark pots separated on both sides of central bright region, so the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region is -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, which leads to total 5.
Thanks
Looks right to me.

Likes hellowmad
BvU said:
Well, there's a picture here. Is that what you mean with your question ?

(PF doesn't really do approval stamps :wink: .)

##\ ##
Yes it is want I mean. Thanks.

haruspex said:
Looks right to me.
thank for checking

1. How does the number of slits affect the number of bright spots visible?

The number of bright spots visible when a laser shines through slits is directly related to the number of slits. As the number of slits increases, the number of bright spots also increases.

2. Why are there bright spots when a laser shines through slits?

When a laser shines through slits, the light waves diffract and interfere with each other, creating areas of constructive and destructive interference. The bright spots are areas of constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a bright spot of light.

3. Can the distance between the slits affect the number of bright spots?

Yes, the distance between the slits can affect the number of bright spots. The distance between the slits determines the angle at which the light waves diffract and interfere with each other. Therefore, changing the distance between the slits can change the number and position of the bright spots.

4. How does the wavelength of the laser affect the number of bright spots?

The wavelength of the laser also affects the number of bright spots. The distance between the slits and the wavelength of the laser determine the angle at which the light waves diffract. As the wavelength increases, the angle of diffraction decreases, resulting in a smaller number of bright spots.

5. Is there a mathematical formula to calculate the number of bright spots?

Yes, there is a mathematical formula to calculate the number of bright spots. It is known as the single-slit diffraction formula and is given by n = (d sinθ)/λ, where n is the number of bright spots, d is the distance between the slits, θ is the angle of diffraction, and λ is the wavelength of the laser.