How many ''charges'' are there in SU(2) and SU(3) symmetry?

In summary, the SU(2) and SU(3) symmetries have N^2-1 conserved charges, which are related to the generators of the group. These charges are special as they generate the same algebra as the generators. There is a special case of SU(N) flavor symmetry, the SU(2) isospin, which is not an exact symmetry due to different quark masses. The SU(3) color symmetry is a local gauge symmetry and the charges must be color singlets. There are experimental tests for both the non-abelian gauge symmetry and Ncolor=3, such as confinement and asymptotic freedom. The SU(2) in weak interaction and SU(3) in strong interaction are
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
How many conserved observations(''charges'') are there in SU(2) and SU(3) symmetries?I know that U(1) has only one charge that is electric charge.
Thank you very much for your kind helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of independent charges is equal to the number of generators of the group, i.e. N^2-1. However, not all of these charges commute among themselves.

Then,what is the speciality of 3 color ''charges'' and isospin ''charges''?

There is a nice qm example, namely the N-dim. harmonic oscillator which has an U(N) = U(1)*SU(N) symmetry. The generators are

[tex]T^a;\;a=0\ldots N^2-1;\;T^0 = 1[/tex]

The charges are

[tex]Q^a = \sum_{ik}\,a_i^\dagger (T^a)_{ik} a_k[/tex]

Both the matrices T and the charges Q generate the same algebra

[tex][T^a,T^b] = if^{abc}T^c[/tex]
[tex][Q^a,Q^b] = if^{abc}Q^c[/tex]

Based on the algebra of the T's the algebra of the Q's can be derived.

The charge for a=0 is related to the Hamiltonian itself

[tex]H = Q^0 + \frac{N}{2}[/tex]

The charges are conserved, i.e.

[tex][Q^a,H] = [Q^a,Q^0] = 0[/tex]

-------------------------------------

ndung200790 said:

Hm, I don't know, they are realized in nature ;-)

SU(2) isospin is a special case of the SU(N) flavor symmetry which is not an exakt symmetry due to the different quark masses; SU(3) color is a local gauge symmetry, i.e. it is related with unphysical degrees of freedom; the charges of SU(3) color are special as all physical states must be color singulets:

[tex]Q^a |\text{phys}\rangle = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
So,physical observations relate only with global symmetry?

And,SU(2) in weak interaction and SU(3) in strong interaction is considered as local or global symmetries?Because we are considering physical observations.

Gobal flavor symmetry was observed rather directly via the hadron multiplets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Way_(physics )

Local color symmetry was constructed as a non-abelian gauge symmetry (Yang-Mills theory) + quantization (Veltman, 't Hooft, Gross, Politzer, Wilczek, ...). There are direct indications for SU(Ncolor) symmetry (requirement for an additonial quantum number in the |?++> = |uuu>, asymptotic freedom, color confinement). But the indications for Ncolor=3 are more indirect.

1) in the naive quark model one works with three constituent quarks; in order to get the correct symmetry for the hadrons one has to introduce an additional 'color' degree of freedom and b/c of the three constituent quarks Ncolor=3 seems to be natural for color, too (in order to get color singulets which means that the new degree of freedom is not observed macroscopically).

2) in the renormalization group equation for the string coupling constant there is a pre-factor (11 Ncolor - 2 N flavor).

So there are experimental tests both for the non-abelian gauge symmetry in general (confinement, asymptotic freedom) as well as for Ncolor

Last edited by a moderator:
ndung200790 said:

Do not confuse the index space (= degrees of freedom or the dimensions of the smallest representation space) of a symmetry group with the (Noether’s) symmetry charges. When we deal with [itex]SU_{c}(3)[/itex] symmetry, we take a single quark to be a fermion field taking values in a 3-dimensional vector space, i.e., a vector in 3-dimensional “colour” space;
[tex]q = \left( \begin{array}{c}r \\ b \\ g \\ \end{array}\right) \in \{3\}[/tex]
and anti-quark as vector in the (inequivalent) conjugate space (the “anti-colour” space);
[tex]
q^{\dagger} = \left( r^{\dagger} \ b^{\dagger} \ g^{\dagger} \right) \in \{\bar{3}\}
[/tex]
Now let us form the tensor product,
[tex]
q^{\dagger}\otimes q = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}r^{\dagger}r & r^{\dagger}b & r^{\dagger}g \\ b^{\dagger}r & b^{\dagger}b & b^{\dagger}g \\ g^{\dagger}r & g^{\dagger}b & g^{\dagger}g \end{array} \right),
[/tex]
and reduce it into invariant subspaces (irreducible tensors). First notice that the trace
[tex]
Tr\{q^{\dagger}\otimes q \} = r^{\dagger}r + b^{\dagger}b + g^{\dagger}g \equiv q^{\dagger}_{i}q^{i},
[/tex]
defines an invariant (scalar) product in the colour space, i.e., colour singlet.
So, let us decompose the above tensor product in the following way
[tex]
q^{\dagger} \otimes q = \left( q^{\dagger} \otimes q - \frac{1}{3}(q^{\dagger}_{i}q^{i})I_{3\times 3}\right) + \frac{1}{3}(q^{\dagger}_{i}q^{i})I_{3 \times 3}
[/tex]
The first object on the right hand side is a traceless [itex]3\times 3[/itex] matrix therefore having 8 independent elements. We can think of it as a vector living in 8-dimensional (irreducible) subspace [itex]\{8\}[/itex];
[tex]
\{8\} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}\{8\}^{1}_{1} & r^{\dagger}b & r^{\dagger}g \\ b^{\dagger}r & \{8\}^{2}_{2} & b^{\dagger}g \\ g^{\dagger}r & g^{\dagger}b & \{8\}^{3}_{3} \end{array}\right), \ \ (1)
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\{8\}^{1}_{1} = \frac{1}{3}( 2 r^{\dagger}r - b^{\dagger}b - g^{\dagger}g),
[/tex]
[tex]
\{8\}^{2}_{2} = \frac{1}{3}( - r^{\dagger}r + 2 b^{\dagger}b - g^{\dagger}g),
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\{8\}^{3}_{3} = \frac{1}{3}( - r^{\dagger}r - b^{\dagger}b + 2 g^{\dagger}g).
[/tex]
Now, using the anti-commutation relations

[tex]
\{ r^{\dagger}, r \} = \{ b^{\dagger} , b \} = \{ g^{\dagger} , g \} = 1,
[/tex]
one can show that the [itex]\{8\}[/itex] transform irreducibly among themselves in the so-called adjoint representation
[tex]
[\{8\}^{i}_{j} , \{8\}^{k}_{l} ] = \delta^{k}_{j}\{8\}^{i}_{l} - \delta^{i}_{l}\{8\}^{k}_{j}
[/tex]
This completes the proof of the following identity
[tex]
\{\bar{3}\} \otimes \{3\} = \{8\} \oplus \{1\}
[/tex]
Now, any traceless [itex]3 \times 3[/itex] matrix can be expanded in terms of the Gell-Mann matrices;
[tex]
\{8\} = J^{a}_{0}\lambda^{a} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}(J^{3}_{0} + \frac{J^{8}_{0}}{\sqrt{3}}) & (J^{1}_{0} + i J^{2}_{0}) & (J^{4}_{0} + i J^{5}_{0}) \\ (J^{1}_{0} - i J^{2}_{0}) & ( - J^{3}_{0} + \frac{J^{8}_{0}}{\sqrt{3}}) & ( J^{6}_{0} + i J^{7}_{0}) \\ (J^{4}_{0} - i J^{5}_{0}) & (J^{6}_{0} - i J^{7}_{0}) & ( - \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}J^{8}_{0}) \end{array} \right). \ \ (2)
[/tex]
Comparing Eq(1) with Eq(2), we can solve for the 8 numbers [itex]J^{a}_{0}[/itex] (the meaning of the lower index {0} will become clear very soon);
[tex]
J^{a}_{0} = q^{\dagger}_{i} ( \frac{\lambda^{a}}{2})_{ij}q_{j} \ \ \ (3)
[/tex]
where [itex] i ,j = 1,2,3[/itex], that is [itex] q_{1} = r , q^{\dagger}_{2} = b^{\dagger}, q_{3} = g , …[/itex]. In order to treat the quark fields as Dirac spinors, we insert [itex]( \gamma_{0})^{2} = 1[/itex] in Eq(3);
[tex]
J^{a}_{0}(x) = \bar{q}_{i}(x) \gamma_{0} ( \frac{\lambda^{a}}{2})_{ij}q_{j}(x)
[/tex]
Now it is easy to show that the integral
[tex]Q^{a} = \int d^{3}x \ J^{a}_{0}(x),[/tex]
(1) satisfies the Lie algebra of [itex]SU(3)[/itex];
[tex][Q^{a},Q^{b}] = i f^{abc}Q^{c}[/tex]
(2) generates the correct SU(3) infinitesimal transformations on the quark fields;
[tex][iQ^{a}, q_{i}(x)] = \delta^{a}q_{i}(x)[/tex]
Thus, we conclude that [itex]J^{a}_{0}(x)[/itex] is the time component of the Noether current associated with the GLOBAL [itex]SU_{c}(3)[/itex] symmetry of the “FREE” quark Lagrangian. The remarkable fact here is that we derived the form of the current using only group theory and the (fermionic) anti-commutation relations, i.e., we made no reference to the dynamics; the form of the Lagrangian and the equations of motion played no role in our derivation. However, in order to show that the current is conserved (if it is) we need the form of the Lagrangian (or the Hamiltonian).

Sam

Last edited:
@Sam, thanks for the excellent explanation

@ndung200790, two remarks:
1) this construction differes from mine (harmonic oscillator toy model), nevertheless, the algebraic context is identical; the relation is basically λa/2 = Ta
2) due to local gauge invariance the color-currents and the charges in QCD will have both a quark- and a gluon content which has not yet been discussed.

Related to How many ''charges'' are there in SU(2) and SU(3) symmetry?

1. How many charges are there in SU(2) symmetry?

The SU(2) symmetry group has three charges: the electric charge, the weak isospin, and the weak hypercharge. These charges are associated with the fundamental particles of the Standard Model, such as quarks and leptons.

2. How are the charges in SU(2) symmetry related?

The electric charge is a combination of the weak isospin and the weak hypercharge, according to the Gell-Mann–Nishijima formula. This relationship is known as the electroweak unification and is a crucial aspect of the Standard Model.

3. What is the significance of SU(2) symmetry in particle physics?

SU(2) symmetry is a fundamental symmetry in the Standard Model that describes the interactions between elementary particles. It plays a crucial role in understanding the weak nuclear force and the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How many charges are there in SU(3) symmetry?

In SU(3) symmetry, there are eight charges known as color charges. These charges are associated with the strong nuclear force and are carried by quarks. The eight charges are often represented by the colors red, green, and blue.

5. How are the charges in SU(3) symmetry related?

The eight color charges in SU(3) symmetry are related through the strong interaction. Unlike the electroweak unification in SU(2) symmetry, there is no known unification of the strong force with the other forces in the Standard Model.