How many first year classes should I take?

In summary, the speaker has completed their first year of an Honors BSc in Math with a minor in Physics and is planning on attending grad school after their undergraduate studies. They are seeking recommendations on the number of first year courses (100 level) to take and whether it is more beneficial to focus on higher level math and physics courses. The speaker outlines their planned course schedule, which includes 17 math courses, 8 physics courses, and 5 Spanish courses, with some additional first year courses in economics, statistics, computer science, and English. They are also considering taking summer courses in the future to focus on higher level courses. The speaker also mentions that they find first year economics and statistics courses boring and are looking for more advanced courses
PirateFan308
I have finished my first year of my undergraduate, taking an Honors BSc in Math with a minor in Physics. I am planning on going to grad school after my undergraduate, and I want to be sure I am not taking too many first year classes. How many first year courses (100 level) courses would you all recommend? Obviously, I have to take first year classes in Math and Physics as well as in my arts option for the required arts credits. Am I also correct in assuming it's more desirable to take more higher level courses in math and physics rather than unrelated first year courses (I had originally thought it would be nice to get a taste of everything but now I'm thinking that would look lazy later on)

The following is my general plan of classes I will take in my undergraduate career:
17 math courses (3 first year, 2 second year, 5 third year, 7 fourth year)
8 Physics (2 first year, 3 second year, 1 third year, 2 fourth year)
2 Mathamatical Physics (both fourth year)
5 Spanish (2 first year, 2 second year, 1 third year -- this is as much as my uni offers)
Other first year courses: (2 econ, 1 stat, 1 computer sciences, 1 english)
2 other options (probably math or physics)

Does this look reasonable or is there anything that you would recommend? I am forced to take the 2 econ and 1 stat first year this coming year due to schedule constraints where these are the only courses that fit. Should I be considering taking summer courses in the future to get more higher level courses? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First year econ/stat courses are rather boring for a mathematically minded person (I'm assuming first year econ refers to the kind where you don't go into things like lagrangians). Try to take an intermediate microeconomics course or something, you should be able to with nothing more than just basic calculus. Then from there you could take a graduate microeconomics or game theory course, after you've done some more math.

Likewise your school might offer a "mathematical statistics" class, maybe with real analysis as a prerequisite. That would be a better course to take than a first-year statistics class.

Related to How many first year classes should I take?

1. How many first year classes should I take?

The number of first year classes you should take depends on several factors, such as your academic goals, workload capacity, and time management skills. It is generally recommended to take between 12-15 credits (4-5 classes) per semester, but it is important to carefully consider your individual circumstances before making a decision.

2. Will taking more first year classes help me graduate faster?

Taking more first year classes may help you graduate faster, but it is not guaranteed. Some classes may have prerequisites that can only be fulfilled in later years, or you may need to retake a class if you do not pass it the first time. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to create a plan that will help you graduate in a timely manner.

3. Is it better to take a heavier course load in my first year?

It is generally not recommended to take a heavier course load in your first year. First year classes are designed to help you transition to college-level coursework, and taking on too much at once can be overwhelming. It is important to find a balance that allows you to succeed academically while also taking care of your mental and physical well-being.

4. Should I take more elective courses or focus on my major in my first year?

It is important to find a balance between taking elective courses and focusing on your major in your first year. While it may be tempting to take a variety of classes to explore your interests, it is also important to make progress towards your degree requirements. Your academic advisor can help you determine the best mix of courses for your first year schedule.

5. Can I change my course load if I feel overwhelmed?

Yes, you can change your course load if you feel overwhelmed. It is important to communicate with your academic advisor and professors if you are struggling with your workload. They can provide guidance and support, and may suggest dropping a class or taking a lighter course load for the semester. It is important to prioritize your mental and academic well-being.