Galois Theory questions: Homomorphisms

In summary: K to K that are the identity on Q(2^(1/4)).I hope this explanation helps you understand the process better. Please let me know if you have any further questions. In summary, to find the homomorphisms from K to C that are Q(2^(1/2))-homomorphisms, we need to consider the elements of K that are fixed by these homomorphisms, which can be found by considering the roots of the minimal polynomial of K over C.
wattsup03

Homework Statement

Let K = Q(2^(1/4))

a) Which of the morphisms from K to C are Q(2^1/2)-homomorphisms
b) And which are K-homomorphisms?

Homework Equations

Theorem: There is a bijection between roots of minimal polynomial and number of homomorphisms

Definition: A K-Homomorphism from L/K to L'/K is a homomorphism L---> L' that is the identity on K

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I don't really understand this very well but for a) I know that there are 4 homomorphisms, since the minimal polynomial over C has four solutions and there is a bijection between the roots and the homomorphisms. What I don't understand is how I get from the number of homomorphisms to the homomorphisms themselves. If someone could explain that to me I think it would really help.

b) I can't really do b) until I know how to get the homomorphisms

Physics news on Phys.org
in a) so if someone could please help me with that first, that would be great.

Thank you for your question. Let me explain the process for finding the homomorphisms from K to C that are Q(2^(1/2))-homomorphisms.

First, we know that there are four homomorphisms from K to C, as you correctly stated. This is because the minimal polynomial of K over C has four roots, which correspond to the four homomorphisms.

To find the specific homomorphisms, we need to consider the definition of a Q(2^(1/2))-homomorphism. This means that the homomorphism must fix the elements of Q(2^(1/2)), which is the same as saying that it must be the identity on Q(2^(1/2)). So, we need to find the elements of K that are fixed by the homomorphisms.

Recall that K is the field extension of Q(2^(1/4)), which means that any element in K can be written as a linear combination of powers of 2^(1/4). So, we can write an element in K as a + b*2^(1/4) + c*2^(1/2) + d*2^(3/4) where a, b, c, and d are rational numbers.

Now, let's consider the four homomorphisms. We know that each of these homomorphisms must send 2^(1/4) to one of the four roots of the minimal polynomial. So, for example, one of the homomorphisms might send 2^(1/4) to the root 2^(1/4), which means that it will also send 2^(3/4) to 2^(3/4). This means that the homomorphism will fix the element 2^(1/4) + 2^(3/4) in K.

Similarly, we can consider the other three homomorphisms and find the elements in K that are fixed by each of them. These fixed elements will give us the four homomorphisms from K to C that are Q(2^(1/2))-homomorphisms.

Once you have determined the four homomorphisms, you can use the same process to find the K-homomorphisms. These are the

1. What is a homomorphism in Galois theory?

In Galois theory, a homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure and operations of a mathematical object. In the context of Galois theory, a homomorphism is a function between two fields that preserves their algebraic properties.

2. How is a homomorphism related to the Galois group?

A homomorphism is used to define the Galois group of a field extension. The elements of the Galois group are the automorphisms of the field extension that preserve the algebraic structure of the field.

3. Can a homomorphism be surjective?

Yes, a homomorphism can be surjective. In fact, a surjective homomorphism is also known as an epimorphism and it means that every element in the target field is mapped to by at least one element in the source field.

4. How do you determine if a homomorphism is injective?

A homomorphism is injective if and only if its kernel is the trivial subfield (containing only the identity element). In other words, if the only element that is mapped to the identity element is the identity element itself, then the homomorphism is injective.

5. What is the importance of homomorphisms in Galois theory?

Homomorphisms play a crucial role in Galois theory as they allow us to study the structure and properties of field extensions. They also help in defining the Galois group, which is a key concept in Galois theory that has applications in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and geometry.