How many hours per week for Waves & Oscillations?

In summary, the individual is budgeting their time for the upcoming semester for an undergraduate course in Waves + Oscillations. They have set a goal to spend at least 8 hours per week on the course, with a surplus of 14 hours for weeks that have exams. They have a part-time job and are taking 5 classes and 2 labs, so they have to carefully budget their time. They are curious about others' experiences with the course, as well as the difficulty level and if it includes class time and labs. The response is that the amount of time needed will depend on the individual's previous exposure to the material and their abilities in math. Labs can be time-consuming but are important for learning. The class may be
Eric_meyers
I'm budgeting my time for the upcoming semester, and I've made a goal with myself to spend at the bare minimum 8 hours per week for an undergraduate course in Waves + Oscillations - with a surplus of 14 hours for a week that has an exam in it.

Does this seem like a reasonable amount of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this time budget include class time and labs, or is it just for homework?

Depends on how hard hte class is and how good of a student you are. You'll be the one who is best able to determine how much studying you need.

lisab said:
Does this time budget include class time and labs, or is it just for homework?

Just for homework: I have a part time job as well as taking 5 classes + 2 labs this semester so I have to budget my time very carefully. I was wondering what other people have experienced through a waves undergrad course?

Eric_meyers said:
Just for homework: I have a part time job as well as taking 5 classes + 2 labs this semester so I have to budget my time very carefully. I was wondering what other people have experienced through a waves undergrad course?

Wow, your're really taking on a busy schedule!

The penguin is wise: it's really going to depend on you. Eight hours is probably doable if you have had some exposure to this material in high school, and are good at math. But if it's all new to you, it will probably take more time...as a general rule, the labs are incredible time sinks, but they're critical to learning the material.

When I took this class (which was a while ago, so the memory is a bit ~) the labs took a *long* time to write up. The homework always seemed to take longer than I budgeted for, too.

For what it's worth, the waves, optics, and relativity course in my department was a senior level class. By senior year I pretty much had the physics major thing figured out; I knew how to think about physics and how to do homework assignments. I probably only spent four or five hours a week on the class. Of course, I'm not you, and you might require more or less studying.

Pengwuino said:
Depends on how hard hte class is and how good of a student you are.

Exactly. I've seen schools where this class is a cakewalk, and schools where this is the weed-out class.

I'll be taking the EE version of this next year. I've heard it is a course that at least 75% of EE's find to be the most difficult Undergrad course required (I attend UMass).

I've been reviewing Electromagnetics and Vector Calculus over the summer. My Multivariate and Differential Equations math teacher recommended "Div, Grad, Curl, and All That" as a supplementary book on informal Vector Calculus to accompany what I learned in Multivariate Calculus and Physics II as a form of preparatory learning/review. I really enjoyed the concept of line integrals in Multivariate, and flux integrals in the above text, so I'm hoping I won't be too lost in "Fields and Waves". Being a 4-credit lecture course, I know I'm in store for some sleepless nights and 12-packs of Coke Zero...

^I think our curriculum differ - in my course sequence we're just now starting line integrals/surface integrals and our waves & oscillations isn't an upper division just a lower division course.

I don't think it has "fields" in it either, just waves and oscillations - although I could just be ignorant on the topic and there are in fact vector fields to wrestle with or something like that.

Related to How many hours per week for Waves & Oscillations?

1. How many hours per week should I dedicate to studying Waves & Oscillations?

The amount of time you should spend studying Waves & Oscillations will vary depending on your individual learning style and level of understanding. However, as a general guideline, it is recommended to spend at least 3-4 hours per week on this subject.

2. Is it necessary to study Waves & Oscillations every week?

Consistency is key when it comes to understanding Waves & Oscillations. It is important to study this subject on a regular basis to reinforce your understanding and build upon previous concepts. Skipping weeks can lead to gaps in your knowledge and hinder your progress.

3. How can I effectively manage my time when studying Waves & Oscillations?

One effective way to manage your time when studying Waves & Oscillations is to create a study schedule. Set aside specific times each week dedicated to this subject and stick to it. Also, break down your study sessions into smaller chunks to avoid burnout and improve retention.

4. Are there any recommended study techniques for Waves & Oscillations?

There are various study techniques that can be effective for Waves & Oscillations, such as creating flashcards, practicing problems, and teaching the material to someone else. It is important to find the study method that works best for you and utilize it consistently.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with studying Waves & Oscillations?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help with studying Waves & Oscillations. Some examples include online lecture videos, interactive simulations, and practice quizzes. It is important to use these resources as supplements to your textbook and class materials.