How Many Licks Tootsie Roll Help

• Thread starter madeeeeee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roll
In summary: So, in summary, to determine the rate of change of volume when the radius is 3/4 of the original value, you need to use the chain rule and the given data points to find the derivative of r with respect to t, and then use the chain rule again to find the derivative of V with respect to t.
madeeeeee
"How Many Licks" Tootsie Roll Help

1. Homework Statement [/b]
In an activity, i was supposed to determine the rate of change of volume of a tootsie rool as i consume it.

My initial radius is 1.21 cm at t=0 sec

the rest of my data is

30 sec- 1.27 cm
60 sec-1.25 cm
90 sec- 1.24 cm
120 sec- 1.22 cm
150 sec- 1.21 cm
180 sec- 1.21 cm
210 sec- 1.20 cm
240 sec- 1.19 cm
270 sec- 1.18 cm
300 sec- 1.16 cm

1. Determine the rate of change of the TRP for you mouth power.

Answer:
dr/dt = 1.25-1.27 / 90-60 = -0.00067 cm/s

did i do this right?

2. If you consumed it consistently what model should you find?
I graphed it and it showed the line decreasing with respect to time.
So does this mean that it is a decreasing exponential function?

3. Determine how fast the volume of the lolly pop is decreasing when the radius is thre fourths of the original value.

My original radius was 1.27 cm and 3/4 of that is 0.9525 cm

i know that the volume of the sphere is 4/3(pi)(r)^3

V=4/3(pi)(.9525)^3
= 3.62 cm
Did i do this right?

Now it asks for dV/dt=

i don't understand what this means, can someone explain the formulas and steps to get my answer. Maybe chain rule

Physics news on Phys.org
or implicit differentiation?Answer: To determine the rate of change of volume when the radius is 3/4 of the original value, you need to use the chain rule. The chain rule states that if y is a function of x, then the derivative of y with respect to x is equal to the derivative of y with respect to u times the derivative of u with respect to x. In this case, you have the volume V of a sphere (which is a function of the radius r) and you want to determine the derivative of V with respect to time t. Therefore, you can use the chain rule by first finding the derivative of V with respect to r, and then finding the derivative of r with respect to t.The formula for the volume of a sphere is V = 4/3(pi)(r)^3. Therefore, the derivative of V with respect to r is dV/dr = 4/3(pi)(3r^2).Now, you need to find the derivative of r with respect to t. Since you know that the radius is decreasing over time, you can say that dr/dt is a negative value. To find this value, you can use the data points that you were given in the activity. At t = 30 sec, the radius was 1.27 cm. At t = 90 sec, the radius was 1.25 cm. Therefore, the derivative of r with respect to t is dr/dt = 1.25 - 1.27 / 90 - 30 = -0.00067 cm/s. Finally, you can use the chain rule to find the derivative of V with respect to t. Using the values that you calculated above, you can say that dV/dt = (4/3(pi)(3r^2))(-0.00067 cm/s) = -0.0019 cm3/s. This is the rate of change of the volume of the lollipop when the radius is 3/4 of the original value.

1. How many licks does it take to finish a Tootsie Roll pop?

The number of licks it takes to finish a Tootsie Roll pop can vary depending on a few factors, such as the size of the pop, the person's licking technique, and the temperature of the environment. However, on average, it takes around 252 licks to finish a Tootsie Roll pop.

2. Why does it take so many licks to finish a Tootsie Roll pop?

The reason it takes so many licks to finish a Tootsie Roll pop is because of its hard candy shell and chewy center. The hard candy shell is designed to gradually dissolve as it is licked, revealing the chewy center. This process can take a significant number of licks to complete.

3. Is the "How Many Licks" study accurate?

The original "How Many Licks" study was conducted by Purdue University in 1996 and found that it takes an average of 364 licks to finish a Tootsie Roll pop. However, this number has been debunked by other studies and experiments, with most finding that it takes significantly fewer licks to finish a Tootsie Roll pop.

4. Does the flavor of the Tootsie Roll pop affect the number of licks it takes to finish it?

Yes, the flavor of the Tootsie Roll pop can affect the number of licks it takes to finish it. Some flavors, such as cherry and grape, have a thicker candy shell, making it take longer to dissolve and thus requiring more licks. Other flavors, like chocolate and strawberry, have a thinner candy shell and may require fewer licks.

5. Can I use a scientific method to determine the exact number of licks it takes to finish a Tootsie Roll pop?

Yes, you can use a scientific method to determine the exact number of licks it takes to finish a Tootsie Roll pop. However, the number may still vary depending on individual factors, such as saliva production and licking technique. Conducting multiple trials and taking an average may provide a more accurate result.