How many molecules will hit the cylinder: Was my solution correct?

In summary: I remember one question was "Which of the following is not a part of the experiment?" and the answer was "Which of the following is not a part of the problem?"
Nirmal Padwal
Homework Statement
Suppose that, in a partial vacuum chamber having 3 molecules of air per cm##^3##, a cylindrical object of radius 10cm and length 40cm is to be moved in a straight line from point A to point B with its axis along the direction of motion. The distance bet4ween A and B is 50cm. How many molecules will hit the cylinder in its entire journey?
Relevant Equations
This is what I did, the cross-sectional area of the cylinder is ##\pi 10^2 = 100\pi## cm. Further, as the cylinder is moving a distance of 50cm. Thus, the total volume of vacuum, object covers throughout its journey is ##100\pi \times 50 =5000\pi## cm. Assuming that the molecules are uniformly distributed in the chamber, the number of molecules hitting the object is ##5000\pi \times 3 = 15000\pi \approx 47124## molecules.

Is this solution correct? I was confused because if it were, why was the length of the object given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nirmal Padwal said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose that, in a partial vacuum chamber having 3 molecules of air per cm##^3##, a cylindrical object of radius 10cm and length 40cm is to be moved in a straight line from point A to point B with its axis along the direction of motion. The distance bet4ween A and B is 50cm. How many molecules will hit the cylinder in its entire journey?
Relevant Equations:: .

This is what I did, the cross-sectional area of the cylinder is ##\pi 10^2 = 100\pi## cm. Further, as the cylinder is moving a distance of 50cm. Thus, the total volume of vacuum, object covers throughout its journey is ##100\pi \times 50 =5000\pi## cm. Assuming that the molecules are uniformly distributed in the chamber, the number of molecules hitting the object is ##5000\pi \times 3 = 15000\pi \approx 47124## molecules.

Is this solution correct? I was confused because if it were, why was the length of the object given?
It looks good to me. :smile:

But keep in mind your solution is only valid if the gas is very cold or if the rod moves through it very fast, or both. In other words, it ignores the gas molecules hitting the rod due to thermal reasons.

So why is the length of the rod given? It could be important if the thermal characteristics of the gas are to be considered, along with the speed of the rod. Maybe this will be given to you in a future exercise.

Thank you @collinsmark

Sometimes, extraneous but natural sounding information is given in a problem statement to make sure that a student can separate the wheat from the chaff.

phinds said:
Sometimes, extraneous but natural sounding information is given in a problem statement to make sure that a student can separate the wheat from the chaff.

I had a chemistry test once, multiple choice, where we had to identify the irrelevant statement in the problem.

1. How do you calculate the number of molecules that will hit the cylinder?

The number of molecules that will hit the cylinder can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the number of molecules (n) is equal to the pressure (P) times the volume (V) divided by the gas constant (R) and the temperature (T). This can be represented by the equation n = (P x V) / (R x T).

2. What factors affect the number of molecules that will hit the cylinder?

The number of molecules that will hit the cylinder is affected by several factors, including the pressure, volume, temperature, and type of gas. A higher pressure or a larger volume will result in more molecules hitting the cylinder, while a lower temperature or a heavier gas will result in fewer molecules hitting the cylinder.

3. Can the number of molecules that hit the cylinder be accurately predicted?

While the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the number of molecules that will hit the cylinder, there are many variables that can affect the accuracy of this prediction. Factors such as the size and shape of the cylinder, the speed and direction of the molecules, and any potential reactions or collisions between molecules can all impact the accuracy of the prediction.

4. How can I check if my solution for calculating the number of molecules that hit the cylinder is correct?

The best way to check the accuracy of your solution is to compare it to experimental data. You can conduct experiments using different gases, pressures, volumes, and temperatures and compare the results to your calculated values. If there is a significant difference between the two, you may need to re-evaluate your solution and take into account any additional factors that may be affecting the results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the ideal gas law to calculate the number of molecules that hit the cylinder?

Yes, there are limitations to using the ideal gas law. This equation assumes that the gas molecules are in constant motion and do not interact with each other. In reality, gas molecules can have interactions and collisions with each other, which can affect their behavior and the number of molecules that hit the cylinder. Additionally, the ideal gas law is most accurate at low pressures and high temperatures, so it may not be as accurate in real-world situations.