How many other atoms is the central atom bonded to ?

• Thread starter butterwings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Atoms
In this case, they form a see-saw shape, with the lone pairs occupying 2 of the equatorial spots and the 3 atoms occupying the remaining 3 spots.
butterwings

Homework Statement

For the molecule ICl3

I) How many lone pairs of electrons are on the central atom?

II) How many other atoms is the central atom bonded to ?

III) What is the molecular geometry of the molecule?

IV) What is the electron-pair geometry?
a) triangular planar b) tetrahedral

c) triangular pyramidal d) octahedral

e) triangular bipyramidal f) linear

g) angular h) square planar

i) see-saw j) T shaped

k) square pyramid

Homework Equations

No formula needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know if I am correct: or anyone will agree that
Correct Answers?
I. 2
II. 5
III. e
IV. j

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
butterwings said:
For the molecule ICl3
Ugh, ICl3 doesn't exist as a monomer (maybe in the gas phase). But let's play along...

butterwings said:
I) How many lone pairs of electrons are on the central atom?
7 valence electrons, 3 tied up in covalent bonds leaves 4 electrons (2 lone pairs).

butterwings said:
II) How many other atoms is the central atom bonded to ?
Not sure how you got 5, since there's only 4 atoms in the whole compound. The correct answer is 3.

butterwings said:
III) What is the molecular geometry of the molecule?
Again, triangular bipyramidal assumes 5 atoms around the central atom. In our case, we have 3 atoms and 2 electron pairs. So including the electron pairs, triangular bipyramidal is a good place to start. But since you only have 3 atoms, 2 of the equatorial spots are occupied by the electron pairs. This leaves the remaining 3 atoms in a T-shaped configuration, as predicted by VSEPR theory.

butterwings said:
IV) What is the electron-pair geometry?
Again, according to VSEPR theory, the electron pairs will be oriented at an angle to one another.

Related to How many other atoms is the central atom bonded to ?

1. How do you determine the number of other atoms bonded to a central atom?

The number of other atoms bonded to a central atom can be determined by looking at the Lewis structure of the molecule. Each single bond, double bond, or triple bond represents one bond to another atom. The number of bonds to other atoms is also known as the central atom's valence.

2. Can a central atom be bonded to more than four other atoms?

Yes, a central atom can be bonded to more than four other atoms. This is known as an expanded octet, and it occurs when the central atom has access to d-orbitals in addition to the s- and p-orbitals.

3. How does the number of other atoms bonded to a central atom affect its reactivity?

The number of other atoms bonded to a central atom can greatly affect its reactivity. Generally, the more bonds a central atom has, the more stable it is and the less reactive it will be. This is because the bonds help distribute the electron density more evenly, making the central atom less likely to participate in chemical reactions.

4. Are all bonds between a central atom and other atoms the same length?

No, not all bonds between a central atom and other atoms are the same length. The length of a bond is determined by the type of atoms involved, the number of bonds to the central atom, and the strength of the bond.

5. How does the number of other atoms bonded to a central atom impact the molecule's shape?

The number of other atoms bonded to a central atom has a significant impact on the molecule's shape. The central atom's valence and the number of bonds dictate the molecular geometry, which in turn affects the overall shape of the molecule. For example, a central atom with four other atoms bonded to it will have a tetrahedral shape, while a central atom with two other atoms bonded to it will have a linear shape.