How many people can you recognise in this photo?

• Thread starter Farang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo
In summary, the woman is probably Marie Curie. There are others that I recognise, but they are not as famous as Marie Curie.
Farang
I recognise Dirac and Schrodinger only. Can you name others?

dirac.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
The woman is probably Marie Curie.

Likes DennisN, Farang and DrClaude
Is that Kapitsa ?
(2nd row, 4th from the left)

"Photograph taken in Dublin in 1942, and showing in the front row (left) theoretical physicist Dr Sheila Tinney with Nobel physicist Paul Dirac (3rd from left), Taoiseach Éamon de Valera (centre) and Prof Erwin Schrodinger (second from right)."

So not Kapitsa then, he would have been back in Russia by then.
Since the photo was taken in 1942 is sort of rules out most of the famous physicists of the time; they were either already working in Los Alamos, on the opposing side of the war (Heisenberg&co) or not able to travel for other obvious reasons (Kaptisa, Landau..).

Likes Farang
BTW, I cheated. Dropped the image onto Google Images. Handy way to get information about an image.

Likes DennisN
Noisy Rhysling said:
"Photograph taken in Dublin in 1942, and showing in the front row (left) theoretical physicist Dr Sheila Tinney with Nobel physicist Paul Dirac (3rd from left), Taoiseach Éamon de Valera (centre) and Prof Erwin Schrodinger (second from right)."

Apart from Dirac, Schrodinger, and Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) de Valera, I also recognize Irish mathematician Dr. Arthur W. Conway (front row, 5th from left), who was also President of University College Dublin from 1940 to 1947, corresponding to the time this photo was taken.

Here is some biographical entries of him online:

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Conway_Arthur.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_W._Conway

Farang said:
I recognise Dirac and Schrodinger only. Can you name others?
Yes, I recognize Dirac and Schrödinger too.
Second row (from below), nr 3 from the left looks like Heisenberg, I think.

Last edited:
Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
First row:
On this page, http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Biographies/Tinney.html, the entire first row of the photo is described.

Eddington! Didn't he go crackers trying to reconcile religion and relativity?

1. How do scientists recognize people in a photo?

Scientists use various techniques and technologies to recognize people in a photo, such as facial recognition software, biometric measurements, and contextual information.

2. Can scientists recognize everyone in a photo?

No, scientists may not be able to recognize every single person in a photo as it depends on the quality of the photo, the angle and lighting, and if the person's face is obscured or not.

3. How accurate is facial recognition technology in identifying people in a photo?

The accuracy of facial recognition technology varies depending on the system and the conditions of the photo. Some systems have been shown to be highly accurate, while others may have more errors.

4. How long does it take for a scientist to recognize someone in a photo?

The time it takes for a scientist to recognize someone in a photo can vary depending on the individual's familiarity with the person, the quality of the photo, and the complexity of the task. It could take a few seconds or several minutes.

5. Can scientists recognize people in a photo from any angle?

It depends on the technology and techniques being used. Some facial recognition software can recognize people from various angles, while others may only work from certain angles or require multiple photos to accurately identify someone.