How Many Photons Per Second Does a Blue Laser Emit?

In summary, to find the number of photons per second emitted by a laser with a photon energy of 3.1 eV and a power output of 800 milliwatts, we can use the equation E = P/t to convert the power to energy per second. We then divide this energy by the photon energy to find the number of photons emitted per second. In this case, we get 2.58 x 10^19 photons per second.
fball558

Homework Statement

A certain laser outputs pure blue light (photon energy 3.1 eV) with power 800 milliwatts (0.8 watts). How many photons per second does this laser emit?

Homework Equations

1 Ws = 6.24151e18
might need E = hv or E = (hc)/fequency where h is 6.6e-34

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if i did it write but i took the .8 multiplied by the 6.24e18 (this is converting Ws to eV) then i x this number by the 3.1 eV to get 1.5479e19
this should be eV/s. then i am lost. not sure if that is even right so any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this type of problem, it helps to think about units carefully (and properly!).

fball558 said:

Homework Statement

A certain laser outputs pure blue light (photon energy 3.1 eV) with power 800 milliwatts (0.8 watts). How many photons per second does this laser emit?

Homework Equations

1 Ws = 6.24151e18
might need E = hv or E = (hc)/fequency where h is 6.6e-34

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if i did it write but i took the .8 multiplied by the 6.24e18 (this is converting Ws to eV)
Actually, it says 0.8 is in units of W, or equivalently J/s. If we include the units in the calculation, we can see what are the units of the result:
(0.8 J/s) x (6.24e18 eV/J) = _____?​

then i x this number by the 3.1 eV to get 1.5479e19
Here, it helps to think of it as 3.1 eV/photon (i.e, eV per photon, the energy that each photon has).

Like I did before, include the units in the multiplication and see what the result is.

this should be eV/s. then i am lost. not sure if that is even right so any help would be great!

I hope my suggestions help you out. If you follow them, compare the units in the answer with what is being asked (highlighted in blue, near the beginning of my post.)

Your calculations for converting watts to eV per second seem correct. To find the number of photons emitted per second, you can use the formula E = hf, where E is the energy in Joules, h is Planck's constant (6.6e-34 Joule seconds), and f is the frequency in Hertz. In this case, the frequency of the laser can be calculated by dividing the photon energy (3.1 eV) by Planck's constant (6.6e-34). This gives a frequency of approximately 4.7e14 Hz.

Using the formula E = hf, we can now calculate the energy of each photon emitted per second. This would be 6.6e-34 x 4.7e14 = 3.1e-19 Joules.

To find the number of photons per second, we can divide the power (0.8 watts) by the energy of each photon (3.1e-19 Joules). This gives us approximately 2.6e18 photons per second.

Therefore, this laser emits approximately 2.6e18 photons per second.

Related to How Many Photons Per Second Does a Blue Laser Emit?

1. What is photon energy?

Photon energy refers to the amount of energy carried by a single photon, which is a fundamental particle of light. It is a measure of the electromagnetic radiation's energy and is directly proportional to the frequency of the radiation.

2. How is photon energy calculated?

Photon energy can be calculated using the equation E = hf, where E is the energy in joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds), and f is the frequency of the radiation in hertz. This equation is known as the Planck-Einstein relation.

3. What is the relationship between photon energy and wavelength?

The relationship between photon energy and wavelength is inverse. This means that as the wavelength of a photon increases, its energy decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum (3.00 x 10^8 meters per second) and λ is the wavelength in meters.

4. How is photon energy related to the color of light?

The color of light is determined by its frequency, which is directly proportional to photon energy. This means that higher frequency (and therefore higher energy) photons are associated with colors towards the violet end of the visible spectrum, while lower frequency (lower energy) photons are associated with colors towards the red end of the spectrum.

5. Can photon energy be observed or measured?

Yes, photon energy can be observed and measured using various scientific instruments. For example, a spectrometer can measure the energy of photons by analyzing the light they emit or absorb, while a photon detector can directly measure the energy of individual photons.