How many revolutions will the car go through?

In summary, using the values given in the problem, a car starting from rest on a curve with a radius of 190m and accelerating at 0.800 m/s^2 will have gone through approximately 0.246 revolutions when the magnitude of its total acceleration is 2.60 m/s^2.
kerbyjonsonjr

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest on a curve with a radius of 190m and accelerates at 0.800 m/s^2 . How many revolutions will the car have gone through when the magnitude of its total acceleration is 2.60 m/s^2 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tired the magnitude of acceleration = sqrt ((at^2/r^2) +a^2)
so then I said 2.6 =.8t^2/190^2 + .8^2 So I got 297 seconds for the time.
Then I plugged time into x=1/2at^2 but this is where I am not sure. Which acceleration should I be plugging into that equation. I have tried a=2.6 a=.8 and a=a/r =.004 and none of those are giving me a correct answer.

I have been dividing my answer by 2pi to get the answer in revolutions but the stupid online thing keeps saying try again and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Units! Where are your units?

SammyS said:
Units! Where are your units?

Sorry about that. I just copy pasted so I am not sure why the units didn't show up but I edited it so there should now be units.

kerbyjonsonjr said:

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest on a curve with a radius of 190m and accelerates at 0.800 m/s2 . How many revolutions will the car have gone through when the magnitude of its total acceleration is 2.60 m/s2 ?

Homework Equations

I have tired the magnitude of acceleration = sqrt ((at^2/r^2) +a^2)
so then I said 2.6 =.8t^2/190^2 + .8^2 So I got 297 seconds for the time.
Then I plugged time into x=1/2at^2 but this is where I am not sure. Which acceleration should I be plugging into that equation. I have tried a=2.6 a=.8 and a=a/r =.004 and none of those are giving me a correct answer.

I have been dividing my answer by 2pi to get the answer in revolutions but the stupid online thing keeps saying try again and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Square of the magnitude of the acceleration: |a|2 = at2 + ac2, where at is the tangential component of acceleration and ac is the centripetal acceleration (aka, the normal component).

For your problem, at = 0.800 m/s2.

For an object traveling in a circle of radius R and speed v (v being the magnitude of the velocity), ac is given by:

[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex].

What must v be for |a|2 to be: (2.60 m/s2)2 ?

Centripetal acceleration also equals r*w^2 so you can find w (angular velocity), tangential acceleration=r*alpha so you can find (alpha) angular acceleration. Then use rotational motion equations to find theta (angle of rotation).

SammyS said:
Square of the magnitude of the acceleration: |a|2 = at2 + ac2, where at is the tangential component of acceleration and ac is the centripetal acceleration (aka, the normal component).

For your problem, at = 0.800 m/s2.

For an object traveling in a circle of radius R and speed v (v being the magnitude of the velocity), ac is given by:

[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex].

What must v be for |a|2 to be: (2.60 m/s2)2 ?

I used the equation Vf = V0 + at so, v=at and then I plugged that into |a|2 = at2 + ac2 then I solved for t again and this time I got 587 seconds. I don't know if I am getting closer to the answer or further away.

w^2 (final)=w^2(initial)+2*angular acceleration*theta, w^2(initial)=0 since the car starts at rest. You can calculate angular velocity and angular acceleration (see previous post) so you can find angle of rotation (theta). I get theta to be about .27 Revolutions.

kerbyjonsonjr said:

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest on a curve with a radius of 190m and accelerates at 0.800 m/s^2 . How many revolutions will the car have gone through when the magnitude of its total acceleration is 2.60 m/s^2 ?

I have tired the magnitude of acceleration = sqrt ((((at)^2/r)^2) +a^2)
so then I said 2.6^2 =(.8t^2/190)^2 + .8^2 So I got 297 seconds for the time.
I inserted some parentheses and exponents. Is this the computation you really made?

SammyS said:
I inserted some parentheses and exponents. Is this the computation you really made?

You are right! I redid it out and got t=24.24 Is that the answer you got for time?

I got 27.something seconds.

If t=24.24 then, v=.8×(24.24)≈19.9 m/s

Then, ac = v2/R ≈ 1.98 m/s2.

Need ac=√(a2-at2) ≈ 2.5 m/s2.

SammyS said:
I got 27.something seconds.

If t=24.24 then, v=.8×(24.24)≈19.9 m/s

Then, ac = v2/R ≈ 1.98 m/s2.

Need ac=√(a2-at2) ≈ 2.5 m/s2.

OK I think 27.8 seems to be right. Then would I use x=1/2at2? What value of a should I use? Should I use alpha= a/r =.8/190 =.004? Then have 1/2*.004*27.82 =1.627/2pi = . 2589 revolutions?

According to this thing the answer is .245 rev. I guess .2589 isn't close enough. IT'S BOGUS

kerbyjonsonjr said:
OK I think 27.8 seems to be right. Then would I use x=1/2at2? What value of a should I use? Should I use alpha= a/r =.8/190 =.004? Then have 1/2*.004*27.82 =1.627/2pi = . 2589 revolutions?
That's a lot of round off: α = a/r =.8/190 =.004 Use 0.00421 and see what you get.

Oh! I see that you actually did use the result without the round-off.

Using the very rounded-off value of .004 rad/s2, I get very close to that BOGUS answer. (0.246 rev.)

1. How do you calculate the number of revolutions a car will go through?

The number of revolutions a car will go through can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the circumference of the car's tires. This will give you the number of complete rotations the tires will make.

2. Is the number of revolutions affected by the size of the car's tires?

Yes, the size of the car's tires will affect the number of revolutions. Larger tires have a greater circumference, which means the car will go through fewer revolutions compared to smaller tires.

3. Does the speed of the car impact the number of revolutions?

Yes, the speed of the car does impact the number of revolutions. The faster the car is traveling, the more revolutions the tires will go through in a given distance.

4. Can the terrain or road conditions affect the number of revolutions?

Yes, the terrain and road conditions can affect the number of revolutions. For example, driving on a rough and bumpy road will cause the tires to go through more revolutions compared to driving on a smooth and flat road.

5. How can the number of revolutions be useful for car maintenance?

Knowing the number of revolutions can be useful for car maintenance as it can help determine the wear and tear on the tires. Keeping track of the number of revolutions can also help with scheduling regular tire rotations and replacements.